[Help with Edward Jones account - SIMPLE IRA]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
lalainvest552

[Help with Edward Jones account - SIMPLE IRA]

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 pm

[Moved into a stand-alone post from: Edward Jones Guided Solutions Fees --admin LadyGeek]

I just came across this site and am in the same boat as to what to do with my Edward Jones account. I own a business and have a SIMPLE IRA plan set up for the company. This plan was opened in 1999. I am undecided as to what to do now. I have read great things about Vanguard, Fidelity and Charles Schwab. Any reason why one might be better than the other and do any of them have an option for a company plan at this time? Any advice and help would be great.

acunn

Re: [Help with Edward Jones account]

Post by acunn » Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Moving the Simple IRA to Vanguard is very easy. Online or a phone call to get the correct paperwork. Once the Simple is open, you can transfer directly to Vanguard and have it all in one place. I do not have experience with the other two though I'm sure others will be along to help. Your employees should be very grateful that you are looking into lowering fees!

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue May 16, 2017 4:45 pm

If it is a small business, you might find a more affordable plan from Employee Fiduciary. They sort of specialize in lower cost plans for small business. They have received excellent reviews here for several years.

If you are looking at several companies, I'd add Fidelity to the list.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:13 pm

lalainvest552 wrote: I just came across this site and am in the same boat as to what to do with my Edward Jones account. I own a business and have a SIMPLE IRA plan set up for the company. This plan was opened in 1999. I am undecided as to what to do now. I have read great things about Vanguard, Fidelity and Charles Schwab. Any reason why one might be better than the other and do any of them have an option for a company plan at this time? Any advice and help would be great.
I think any of the 3 firms would be a good choice and good provider of low-cost index funds. I would probably pick Vanguard because they are such an important part of the movement to lower the cost of investing. If you have other accounts at one of the 3 firms, you might want to choose that provider.

Since a SIMPLE IRA is a calendar year plan, I think you'll have to use your Edward Jones plan for your business for the rest of 2017. The plan for 2018 needs to be set up by late October. The Form 5305 (or 5304) needs to be passed out to your employees before Nov 2 so as to provide 60 days prior to Jan 1, 2018. During Nov and Dec, you can set up your business' SIMPLE account, and you and each of your employees set up their individual SIMPLE accounts.

In the mean time,you can do trustee to trustee transfers of your EJ SIMPLE assets as often as monthly to a traditional IRA.

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:03 am

I understand the calendar year plan but as of June 9, 2017 Edward Jones is changing our simple Ira plan and we must decide if we want a guided or advisory plan. So isn't this changing what we signed up for originally and would we have the right to leave now.

BL

Post by BL » Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 am

In the mean time,you can do trustee to trustee transfers of your EJ SIMPLE assets as often as monthly to a traditional IRA.
If everybody transfers all funds out of the account each month, perhaps EJ will be glad to depart!

Read your contract or check with your lawyer or CPA.

lalainvest552

Re: Edward Jones Guided Solutions Fees [moving from but need new advisor]

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:32 pm

[Moved into a stand-alone thread from: Edward Jones Guided Solutions Fees [moving from but need new advisor] --admin LadyGeek]

I still haven't moved from Edward Jones, its just all so confusing. I am an Employer and in charge of the Simple IRA plan for our company and we started with Edward Jones in 1999. So for me it's not just myself to worry about because I have all the other employees too. My one question is though how much does Vanguard or Fidelity charge to manage these accounts. If you can't do it yourself like everyone is suggesting then you are going to be charged something for one of these companies to do it as well.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm

lalainvest552, welcome to the forum. Vanguard and Fidelity do not charge the employer for their SIMPLE IRA plans. Setting them up is a simple matter of filling out forms. You as the employer will fill out the form to establish your business’ SIMPLE plan. Each of your employees and you as well will fill out the form to establish your personal SIMPLE account. There’s an account service fee of $25 per year which is waived for accounts greater than 50k. As the employer, you are not responsible for the funds your employees use in their SIMPLE accounts. If you or your employees want to have Vanguard help with fund selection, etc., their Personal Advisory Services (PAS) charges a reasonable 0.3% per year.

SIMPLE IRA’s are annual plans that are set up again every year, starting before Nov 1. You can set up a plan with Vanguard for 2018, but the current provider will be used for the rest of 2017. You can get lots of help with your SIMPLE here on the forum. Vanguard has a special section that deals with small business plans and they will also be helpful.

You and your employees can keep your current expensive EJ SIMPLE accounts (not recommended), or the account can be transferred to Vanguard (recommended). That's up to each employee. There's no fee to transfer although EJ will probably charge an account closing fee. The transfer should take place next year after all contributions for 2017 have been made.

Several years ago I helped a relative transition the small business’ SIMPLE IRA from Edward Jones to Vanguard. They can both be set up at the same time but for a given calendar year, only one can be used. It went smoothly.
Last edited by krow36 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:45 pm

lalainvest552 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:32 pm
I still haven't moved from Edward Jones, its just all so confusing. I am an Employer and in charge of the Simple IRA plan for our company and we started with Edward Jones in 1999. So for me it's not just myself to worry about because I have all the other employees too. My one question is though how much does Vanguard or Fidelity charge to manage these accounts. If you can't do it yourself like everyone is suggesting then you are going to be charged something for one of these companies to do it as well.
lalainvest, this is a big topic. You need your own thread because your needs are different from Birdgirl's needs. I've asked a moderator to move this to it's own thread.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm

lalainvest552 - In order to provide appropriate advice, it's best to keep all the information in one spot. I merged your update back into the original. This isn't a big deal, don't worry about it.

If you have any questions, ask them here. If you don't understand an answer, please let us know and we'll try again.

===================
krow36 - I removed your duplicate post.

retiredjg - Posts moved, thanks.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:40 pm

I can't seem to start a new topic. I don't see anything I can click on except to reply to a post. What am I doing wrong.

KESP

Post by KESP » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Click Forum Home index.php.
Decide what forum it belongs in, ex. Investing -Help with Personal Investments.Then on top left, will see button called New Topic.

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:40 pm

I just figured it out. I have to click or Jump too in the lower right at the end of the last post and then on a category. I never see Forum Home.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Have you set up the new SIMPLE IRA for your business yet?

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Not yet. Will have to wait until next year now as I had to provide the info to all eligible employees already. I have been trying to do some research first but am still confused as to the fees Vanguard/Fidelity charges to manage Simple IRA plans which is probably still less than Edward Jones. I just reread up above about the fees posted but I though I saw $25 per fund annually not per account. A few of us have over $50,000 but a majority of the employees do not.

I understand the importance of moving the accounts but I am worried about how confusing this will be to all the employees whom do not understand. They can go down the street and meet with the Edwards Jones Rep to discuss issues, but if I change it will all be over the phone or online, not everyone will like that. I don't know what it might cost us to close out the accounts at Edward Jones. I have one employee who has their funds transferred to Fidelity and I am sure they would rather I set it up there, just hard to make everyone happy. But I am in the process of setting up a general joint account for myself and my husband at Vanguard in the meantime to see how that goes.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:38 pm

lalainvest552 post_id=3596287 time=1509396357 user_id=121128]
Not yet. Will have to wait until next year now as I had to provide the info to all eligible employees already.
You only have to hand out the IRS Form 5305 or 5304 before Nov 2. You still have 2 days. Then the employees have 60 days to return it to you. During those 60 days you can set up the business account with a provider and get the employees enrolled. Have the EJ Forms been handed out? This is required every year.
I have been trying to do some research first but am still confused as to the fees Vanguard/Fidelity charges to manage Simple IRA plans which is probably still less than Edward Jones. I just reread up above about the fees posted but I though I saw $25 per fund annually not per account. A few of us have over $50,000 but a majority of the employees do not. Yes, Vanguard charges $25 per fund per year. Fidelity charges $350 per plan, paid by the employer, or $25 per year per employee.
I understand the importance of moving the accounts but I am worried about how confusing this will be to all the employees whom do not understand. They can go down the street and meet with the Edwards Jones Rep to discuss issues, but if I change it will all be over the phone or online, not everyone will like that. I don't know what it might cost us to close out the accounts at Edward Jones. I have one employee who has their funds transferred to Fidelity and I am sure they would rather I set it up there, just hard to make everyone happy. If you used an IRS Form 5304, it would allow you and your employees to each choose your financial institution--stay with EJ, or contribute directly to Fidelity or Vanguard.
But I am in the process of setting up a general joint account for myself and my husband at Vanguard in the meantime to see how that goes.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 pm

It’s not difficult to fill out the IRS Form 5304-SIMPLE IRA. https://irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5304sim.pdf
You still have 2 days to meet the deadline of passing them out to the employees before Nov 2. If you would like help with it, just ask. If you would prefer to ask questions using Private Messages, that’s OK. I believe the IRS requires that for any SIMPLE IRA plan for 2018, plan information (Form 5304 or 5305 or 5305-SA) be given to the employees before Nov 2. Edward Jones uses a Form 5305-SA.

lalainvest552

Re: [Help with Edward Jones account - SIMPLE IRA]

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:24 am

I handed out the EJ form last Friday with the employee paychecks. I thought I had to open the Simple account first and then hand everything out with Vanguard or Fidelity on the form. I also figured I had to let Edward Jones know I didn't plan to use them and hadn't done that yet. I didn't understand the difference in the IRS forms. I see now that with Form 5304 employees can choose whomever they want and I thought they would have to go with whomever I choose. I would really like to put out a memo explaining everything to the employees up front and really wasn't sure what I was doing at this point. I am upset with myself for not staying on top of this and making the change but will be ready for it next year. So with Form 5304 I don't have to set up a simple plan at Vanguard or Fidelity? Or I have to set one up but the employees still have the option of going where they choose?

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 am

After I posted the above message I pulled out my Edward Jones Simple IRA Summary Plan Desc & Employer Contribution Notice and I adopted the 5304 Simple IRA plan. So does this mean employees can choose whatever financial institution they want? I see that Edward Jones is listed as the Custodian. I am just still confused by all this?

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 am

Vanguard Simple IRA

https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-o ... simple-ira

Fidelity

https://fidelity.com/retirement-ira ... ng-started

Schwab

http://schwab.com/public/schwab/inv ... simple_ira

I think Employee Fiduciary is a good company for a small business 401k, but I don't think they offer a Simple IRA.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:57 am

lalainvest552 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 am
After I posted the above message I pulled out my Edward Jones Simple IRA Summary Plan Desc & Employer Contribution Notice and I adopted the 5304 Simple IRA plan. So does this mean employees can choose whatever financial institution they want? I see that Edward Jones is listed as the Custodian. I am just still confused by all this?
A Form 5304 SIMPLE IRA does not have a Designated Financial Institution. The FI can be selected by each employee. If the employee does not select a FI, the employer can select one for the employee.
If you are using the Form 5304-SIMPLE, on page 3, IV. there are lines for the employee to select the Financial Institution of their choice. Were these lines already filled out by Edward Jones?

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Edward Jones doesn't send the actual Form 5304-Simple. They send their Summary Plan Description and Employer Contribution Notice for the new year. So I don't see that information here. I just type up a memo to all eligible employees with the SPD attached from Edward Jones and tell them to make an appointment with our Edward Jones Rep to set up the account and then bring the Salary Reduction Agreement Form to me by 12/31/17 so we can start contributing on 1/1/18. I always thought we had to use them because that's who set this up for us. Even the employee who uses Fidelity, has Edward Jones transfer their funds once they reach a certain amount. I send one check to Edward Jones each week.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:18 pm

OK, it looks like you may be stuck with EJ for your 2018 SIMPLE. It's unfortunate that you didn't get this straightened out several months ago. However, you can accomplish a similar result by encouraging your employees to follow the steps of your employee who makes transfers to Fidelity. And you could transfer your own EJ SIMPLE to Fidelity (or Vanguard?). Since your business account is already set up at Fidelity, all the other employees/you need to do is open a transfer SIMPLE account at Fidelity, and make the asset transfers every quarter or so.

The SIMPLE IRA is an unusual employer based retirement account in that it is reestablished every calendar year. This makes it simple to change the Defined Financial Institutions in a Form 5305 plan, or to go from the Form 5305 with a Defined Financial Institution to a Form 5304 where each employee selects their own FI. It's also unusual in having that 60 day notification period.

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:30 pm

I know I should have stuck with it but things came up along the way that took my attention away from this. But I do feel I have learned a lot from posts here. Now I have never set up anything at Fidelity for the Business, the employee has set up an account there for himself to receive funds but I am not sure which kind of account he has, I believe he is pretty good at what he is doing because I think he picks out his own funds and decides where his money goes. Not sure I am at that level yet so I would need help. Can you get help as long as you need it under a Simple at Vanguard or Fidelity and then decide later to do it yourself?

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:36 pm

krow36 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:18 pm
OK, it looks like you may be stuck with EJ for your 2018 SIMPLE. It's unfortunate that you didn't get this straightened out several months ago. However, you can accomplish a similar result by encouraging your employees to follow the steps of your employee who makes transfers to Fidelity. And you could transfer your own EJ SIMPLE to Fidelity (or Vanguard?). Since your business account is already set up at Fidelity, all the other employees/you need to do is open a transfer SIMPLE account at Fidelity, and make the asset transfers every quarter or so.

The SIMPLE IRA is an unusual employer based retirement account in that it is reestablished every calendar year. This makes it simple to change the Defined Financial Institutions in a Form 5305 plan, or to go from the Form 5305 with a Defined Financial Institution to a Form 5304 where each employee selects their own FI. It's also unusual in having that 60 day notification period.

What I am still confused about is we have a Form 5304 Simple plan set up, but Edward Jones just sends us everything on their letterhead in their format and asks if we have any changes so they can make the adjustments in time to comply with the 11/2 deadline. I don't understand why we don't have to sign the Form 5304 each year. Even the Salary Reduction forms are on their letterhead. None of the paperwork I see looks generic like the examples I have shown here.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:47 pm

552, are you also aware of this rollover/transfer option?

https://irahelp.com/slottreport/2-y ... hould-know

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:56 pm

I believe that EJ can use their own forms if they conform to the IRS regulations. There's room for them in their forms to de-emphasize the features of the SIMPLE they don't like. Like the Form 5304 giving the employee the right to select their FI. It's probably buried in one of their documents that they refer. It is a mystery to me why they are using a 5304, instead of a 5305 with EJ as the DFI?? Their website has documents for only a 5305-SA.

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 am

pkcrafter wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Paul

Yes I am aware. But I still need to set up the new Company SIMPLE at one of the other FI in order to have the employees and company current contributions going where I want them to go in the future and now I am past that point. I can only have one Company SIMPLE Plan. I already know that I can transfer/rollover but I wanted it to be to another SIMPLE account. But out of curiosity, can someone tell me what the difference would be for me if I did transfer my current SIMPLE funds to a traditional IRA.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 pm

lalainvest552 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 am
pkcrafter wrote:
Paul
Yes I am aware. But I still need to set up the new Company SIMPLE at one of the other FI in order to have the employees and company current contributions going where I want them to go in the future and now I am past that point. I can only have one Company SIMPLE Plan. I already know that I can transfer/rollover but I wanted it to be to another SIMPLE account. But out of curiosity, can someone tell me what the difference would be for me if I did transfer my current SIMPLE funds to a traditional IRA.
Does EJ have you in their Guided Solutions? If so, you are probably being charged an administration fee of over 1% that is added to each fund's expense ratio. If you list the funds you are in and their ERs, and confirm your Guided Solutions fee, and the approximate size of your EJ SIMPLE IRA account, we can tell you how much extra you are paying every year, compared to an IRA account at Vanguard. On a 200k account, I would guess that you are probably paying almost $3,000 more to EJ than you would to Vanguard. :(

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 pm

krow36 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 pm
lalainvest552 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 am
pkcrafter wrote:
Paul
Does EJ have you in their Guided Solutions? If so, you are probably being charged an administration fee of over 1% that is added to each fund's expense ratio. If you list the funds you are in and their ERs, and confirm your Guided Solutions fee, and the approximate size of your EJ SIMPLE IRA account, we can tell you how much extra you are paying every year, compared to an IRA account at Vanguard. On a 200k account, I would guess that you are probably paying almost $3,000 more to EJ than you would to Vanguard. :(

I only moved $25,000 to a guided Solutions Flex account and my current contributions are going there now. The rest of my Simple and a Traditional IRA has been grandfathered and I can no longer contribute to them. Under the Guided solutions account EJ is charging 1.08%. Which I know is a lot more than Vanguard. I think Vanguard would only be .03%. This is the reason I know I need to do something and am still upset with myself for procrastinating.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:48 pm

This is what you’ve told us you have:
EJ Guided Solutions Flex SIMPLE IRA account, 25k with an AUM fee of 1.08% and unknown fund expense ratios.
It is receiving your current SIMPLE contributions.
EJ grandfathered SIMPLE IRA account, unknown size, with unknown ERs
EJ grandfathered traditional IRA account, unknown size, with unknown ERs

We can’t tell you what you would save by moving the money in your grandfathered accounts to Vanguard. It depends on the ERs you are paying now and the size of the accounts. If you supply the info, you’ll get answers. The Vanguard Personal Advisor Services is an optional advisory service with a fee of 0.30% per year. The expense ratios of their index funds are about 0.05% to about 0.20%. If you want to take full advantage of this forum, you should use Laura’s format for asking questions. Asking Portfolio Questions