Help Me Locate Years-old Article on Real Estate Tycoon

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Snert

Help Me Locate Years-old Article on Real Estate Tycoon

Post by Snert » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:49 am

Two or three years ago, I read an article about a real estate tycoon that had sustained heavy losses during the Great Recession, only to re-emerge as a more conservative investor several years later. If memory serves, the article appeared in Forbes or Wired magazine, but I suppose it could have been anywhere. Also, the large-scale investments described in the article were primarily located in Latin America (Panama?). The key point of the article that resonated with me was that the new investments were only (or no more than) 50% leveraged. Given that the article influenced my real estate investment philosophy, I'd like to find it again and see if further details are available about the success, or lack thereof, of the investor.

I've searched and searched to try to find the article again, but to no avail. As a last ditch effort, I thought I'd post here to see if these points ring any bells. Any ideas?
Never give up, never surrender!

Pajamas

Re: Help Me Locate Years-old Article on Real Estate Tycoon

Post by Pajamas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:22 am

Sounds like Sam Zell, but there are so many articles written about him that you are probably the only person who could identify the particular one that you remember.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Sam Zell has finally wrote a book: "Am I Being Subtle Enough" available on Amazon.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Snert

Post by Snert » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Never give up, never surrender!

BL

Post by BL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Have you googled for the name and some key unique words? You might get lucky.
If you can find details such as magazine and date, your public library may be able to order a copy of it.

GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:46 pm

I would be surprised if it was Zell, he is known as the grave dancer and usually buys low. Could it be this story

https://forbes.com/sites/chloesorvi ... 2f55046403