Barcelona Trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
btenny

Barcelona Trip

Post by btenny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:24 pm

My wife and I are traveling to England to met my daughter and her husband for Thanksgiving. We planned to stay in England for a few days and then travel to Barcelona Spain and vicinity for 4 days in early December together. We have paid reservations and air tickets and so forth. We made these plans in mid summer. We also have trip insurance.

Well all this succession noise and trouble with Spain has us wondering. Plus Spain/Barcelona had the big terror attack this summer as well. Then I read the next vote and round of trouble is December 21. So if we go we are likely to be there right when there is trouble.

Any suggestions?

stan1

Re: Barcelona Trip

Post by stan1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Don't worry about the terror attack. Those happen in London, Nice, Paris, Brussels, New York, San Bernadino, Orlando, Ottawa, as well as Barcelona. More likely to get killed in a car accident than a terror attack.

Who knows what will happen with Catalonia. I'd say be flexible for the time being unless you want to go ahead and cancel that part of the trip and stay on the British Isles, Paris, Belgium, or Amsterdam.
Last edited by stan1 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 pm

You should read the terms of your trip insurance and see how it applies in the situation.

I would make alternate arrangements and avoid areas where there is expected to be political unrest.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:42 pm

btenny wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:24 pm
My wife and I are traveling to England to met my daughter and her husband for Thanksgiving. We planned to stay in England for a few days and then travel to Barcelona Spain and vicinity for 4 days in early December together. We have paid reservations and air tickets and so forth. We made these plans in mid summer. We also have trip insurance.

Well all this succession noise and trouble with Spain has us wondering. Plus Spain/Barcelona had the big terror attack this summer as well. Then I read the next vote and round of trouble is December 21. So if we go we are likely to be there right when there is trouble.

Any suggestions?
First, does your travel insurance offer CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason)? That sometimes only refunds 75%, but... it's better than nothing if one really doesn't feel comfortable going.

Second, can you try to get a change of flights for this reason, without penalty? And often, air penalties are fairly modest.
As for hotels, it's unlikely they'd forgive the pre-paid reservations, but it's worth asking. Or, perhaps they'd give you a credit, and you could take a trip there next year or such?

IF there happens to be actual unrest, especially if recognized by the US State Department, then your travel insurance would probably cover it all.
Which coverage do you have?

Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Go! What a exciting time to visit the magnificent city.

[edit] I checked with my wife. She's all for going now too.
Last edited by MichaelRpdx on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:12 pm

As much as I have enjoyed Barcelona, I might be hesitant to vacation there in the next several months (or until the political situation becomes more clear and stable). Not so much for fear of violence to my person, but the potential for major inconvenience from a general strike or other disruptions.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:21 pm

I personally wouldn't plan a trip to Barcelona right now, but more out of a desire to avoid something unpleasant than out of concern for safety. If I already had the tickets booked I'd probably just go ahead with it.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks for all the comments. We have decided to go ahead and go for now. I really want to see the city and the Sagrada Familia church and the Gaudy stuff etc.. We are not leaving for two weeks so this could change but it is a go for now.

Good Luck.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Go! It's a historic time to get there. I just got back, sadly missed the referendum by two days. They're not stupid. Tourism is of huge importance, and everyone is very cool. I wouldn't discuss politics, though.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Barcelona, Spain? You surely meant Barcelona, Catalonia?
;)

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:58 pm

Friend of mine just got back 2 days ago. She said it was great, no problems, beautiful place and a bargain vacation.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 pm

I’ve already changed my plan to not going to Barcelona because of all the protest against tourists. Now I want to know if I should even cancel going to Spain period. There’s Lisbon as a substitution, but I did want to see some Moorish architecture. I’m in the wait and see mode. I have time to cancel.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 pm
I’ve already changed my plan to not going to Barcelona because of all the protest against tourists.
huh?!

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:43 pm

If you have any doubts read what a professional like Rick Steves has to say. Spoiler alert he highly recommends going. The plus side is that maybe there won’t be so many tourist that often overrun parts of Barcelona.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I’ve already changed my plan to not going to Barcelona because of all the protest against tourists.
huh?!
http://businessinsider.com/barcelon ... sts-2017-8

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
huh?!
http://businessinsider.com/barcelon ... sts-2017-8
Bunch of nincompoops. Don't sweat it. Non-story.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm

I was in Barcelona last year. As I recall the airport is pretty far from the downtown area where most of the potential problems would be. One option would be to have a rental car reservation at the airport that you can cancel then at the last minute you could decide if you wanted to go downtown or take the rental car and see things outside of Barcelona. You would not want a rental car in Barcelona. I drove in Spain for a week and my impression was that the highways and roads outside the cities were arguably better than in the US. In the cities in addition to traffic the road layout is often confusing because it is based on the way the city was laid out 500 years ago and there are few street signs. I would highly suggest using a GPS for driving in Spain.

Just FYI in the stores in Barcelona they will have one of the oddest traditions for Christmas nativity scenes that you will ever see. I had to Google it when I got back to try to figure out what the heck they were. They apparently are also include these in nativity scenes that you might see around town but I was not there during the Christmas season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

From the traditional peasant they have morphed to also include similar figures for all sorts of people from Superman to major political figures.
Last edited by Watty on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:06 pm

We were just there 3 weeks ago and it was fine. Some gathering on the squares, no violence. Don't be afraid, enjoy.

However, we feel La Rambla and many of the popular site are too touristy.
Do a bike tour so you can see more places up close.
Download Rick Steve's audio free tours of the city (best if you use his app):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rick-st ... 57125?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rope&hl=en
https://ricksteves.com/watch-read-l ... udio-tours

Enjoy!

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am

serbeer wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 pm
;)
You surely meant Barcelona, Catalunya? :)
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:32 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am
serbeer wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 pm
;)
You surely meant Barcelona, Catalunya? :)
:)

Lillibelle

Post by Lillibelle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:25 pm

You will love Gaudi's Barcelona! Highly recommend a day trip to Montserrat, a mystical place for the local Catalan people ~ unforgettable.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Your biggest concern should probably be petty crime, especially pickpocketing, especially in the areas with a lot of tourists.
https://google.com/search?source=hp ... lona+crime

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:57 pm

I'd certainly go if you like that type of architecture. I actually wasn't so impressed with Barcelona - I prefer the cities with lots of Greek and Roman architecture. I'd keep an eye on what is happening but for now it seems quite safe. It seems that the president of Catalonia and most of his cabinet are taking refuge in Brussels. I've been reading the Spanish press and the Madrid papers refer to Puigdemont as the "ex-president. It seems as if Puigdemont and members of his cabinet might be arrested and charged with sedition if they return to Barcelona.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 pm

My wife and I just returned. There was a major protest while we were there, just steps from our hotel. Very civilized and caused us little inconvenience. I don't think tourism will be disrupted in any major way. The Catalonians are lovely people and it is a great city. As others have suggested, all the political action make keep the tourist hordes down, but we certainly didn't see any lack of tourists, while we were there.

BTW the reports of rampant pickpocketing are quite overblown in my opinion and we were in some very crowded and touristy areas. Never once did I feel like I was being scoped out or ever felt unsafe in any way in the city. Just take sensible precautions with your wallet, just as if you were visiting New York or Chicago.