LG Ultrafine 5K Display for Macbook Pro?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RooseveltG

LG Ultrafine 5K Display for Macbook Pro?

Post by RooseveltG » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:15 am

My Thunderbolt display has finally died. I can purchase a used one on eBay or buy the Apple recommended LG 27" 5K display.

I realize I will need a dock because it only comes with USB-C ports. Has anyone compared the LG to the Thunderbolt display side by side in person (vs. specs)?

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.

AntsOnTheMarch

Re: LG Ultrafine 5K Display for Macbook Pro?

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:13 am

This does not answer your question but I’ll throw it out there just in case. My wife is a graphic designer and pretty picky about the display she uses. I recently set up a system for her using a Mid-2015 MacBook Pro (purchased on eBay) paired with a large 4K display. She is thrilled with her new set up. This is the display.

https://bestbuy.com/site/aoc-08-ser ... Id=5850413

We also use her computer to watch movies. I’d give the display a slightly lower rating for video but not much. All in all, I’m very happy with it—especially considering the price.

Edit: while I cannot give a side-by-side comparison between the displays you ask about, I was recently at the Apple store and the 5k display on the floor was truly stunning. Takes your breath away.

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:59 am

I am using that monitor connected to a current generation MBP. It is truly an awesome display and incredibly easy to use because the USB-C connection to the monitor powers the laptop in addition to providing video and audio to the monitor. Lid open it serves as a second display and lid closedit automatically is the primary display with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 am

Thanks, but how does it compare to the older Apple Thunderbolt display?

Roosevelt.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 am

I’m a fan of the concept, but last I read the reviews on the Apple website.... they were not encouraging. It doesn’t “just work” as well as it ought to.

Will also agree that the display is awesome in person.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 am

Duplicate

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:13 am
This does not answer your question but I’ll throw it out there just in case. My wife is a graphic designer and pretty picky about the display she uses. I recently set up a system for her using a Mid-2015 MacBook Pro (purchased on eBay) paired with a large 4K display. She is thrilled with her new set up. This is the display.

We also use her computer to watch movies. I’d give the display a slightly lower rating for video but not much. All in all, I’m very happy with it—especially considering the price.

Edit: while I cannot give a side-by-side comparison between the displays you ask about, I was recently at the Apple store and the 5k display on the floor was truly stunning. Takes your breath away.
Does your wife use this for multiple screens? I purchased the MBP and am trying to get away from a 3 screen set up. A screen like this looks like it would solve this problem. There are surprisingly few youtube videos on the multiple screen set up for MBPs.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 pm

ERISA Stone wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:13 am

Does your wife use this for multiple screens? I purchased the MBP and am trying to get away from a 3 screen set up. A screen like this looks like it would solve this problem. There are surprisingly few youtube videos on the multiple screen set up for MBPs.
The display is so huge that she chooses to use it with the MacBook closed (as the only display). She can open up all the windows she needs on the one screen. I tested it however, and it works flawlessly as a second screen. When you open the MacBook, it goes into two screen mode with the MacBook as the main screen and you can drag anything you want over to the external display. When you close the MacBook lid, the external display becomes the main screen. All windows and icons are exactly where you’d expect them to be. I hope that helps.

Edit: perhaps you were asking if the monitor itself can simulate multiple screens? Yes, according to the specs and manual, but I have not used it that way. My wife prefers to open multiple windows side-by-side, position them as she likes, and work that way. The screen is slightly curved and fabulous for graphic design work. It’s pretty good for movies. The speakers are total junk though so we use the MacBook Pro speakers or you’d need to get external ones if that matters to you. I don’t think it would be good for gaming because refresh rate is not high enough and I can see some red artifacts when there are dark scenes in a movie and fast movement. I have optimized all the settings and connections so this is not something that can be improved. Still, for its main purpose of graphic design, I’d give it 5/5 stars. Overall I’d give it 4/5 stars. For $600 2 thumbs up.
Last edited by AntsOnTheMarch on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bostondan

Post by bostondan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:41 pm

I bought the LG 5K display when it first came out. I had nothing but problems. It was nice when it worked, but it frequently crashed my brand new MBP 15" when plugging and unplugging it. There were countless reviews stating this same problem. It apparently had something to do with FileVault, but I could never get it working. I think it may have been a MBP issue, not the monitor, but since that's the only computer it works with, it doesn't make a difference.

I ended up buying this monitor at my local MicroCenter for $699: https://dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ul ... ccessories

I was replacing a dual-monitor setup. I find the ultrawide to be a huge productivity booster. The curved screen is better than the flat version, because with the flat version the edges feel too far away. I like that I can split my screen into as many divisions as I want (2, 3, etc) rather than be stuck with two distinct screens.

If using a big monitor, make sure you have a good window management app. I use Magnet, which works great: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magnet/ ... 8766?mt=12

Also, I use this monitor with my laptop closed. It also has USB-A ports which are helpful considering the new MBP has only USB-C. It has speakers, but I plug nicer speakers into the monitor, which passes the sound via DisplayPort. I’m considering getting a USB-C dock to simplify things, but right now my setup works fine.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel