Printing Problems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dodgy55

Printing Problems

Post by dodgy55 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Running windows 7 and I cannot print from my Word or Excel files. I am guessing this resulted from an MS update. I am communicating with the printer via wi-fi from my laptop. When I right click onto default printer in devices & printers it shows the printer is offline. If it is offline why am I able to print info from a web site? Any suggestions to cure this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Fond memories are the best investment

obgraham

Re: Printing Problems

Post by obgraham » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:50 pm

I would uninstall the printer, then reinstall it.

I've found wi-fi printing to be a hit-or-miss feature, never really figuring out why it might go south on a given day.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm

obgraham wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:50 pm
I would uninstall the printer, then reinstall it.

I've found wi-fi printing to be a hit-or-miss feature, never really figuring out why it might go south on a given day.
I have found that configuring a printer with a fixed IP address and then installing it (on the device) so that the device uses the IP address as a port eliminates a lot of balky printing issues.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:29 pm

I've found when re-configuring a WIFI printer you need to PLUG it into the laptop to configure (USB), then once its setup you don't need to have it plugged in to the laptop. That's just been my experience (Windows 10, HP printer)

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 am

Used to have my printer hooked up to our laptop (that runs Windows 7) via wifi but found that I had to re-install the printer four or five times a year to keep it connected. I finally gave up when our laptop died and now we only print via hardwire to a desktop computer.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 am

dodgy55 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:41 pm
I am communicating with the printer via wi-fi from my laptop.
I prefer wired connections for things like printers and speakers. If you think about it, simply plugging the printer cable into the computer is much easier than fiddling with Wi-Fi.

When wireless connections evolve to be less trouble than wired connections, I might switch, but even then there are also security issues to consider.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 am

Pajamas wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 am
When wireless connections evolve to be less trouble than wired connections, I might switch, but even then there are also security issues to consider.
The main advantages of wireless printing is distance (you don't need to have the computer close to the printer) and multiple printers. Wired network printers can get around this as well but then the printer needs to be near a network device to connect.

Security on wireless printers is the same protocol as security on laptops and mobile devices.

As I mentioned above, I have found, through experience with dozens of printer deployments, that configuring a network printer (wireless or wired) with a fixed IP address rather than relying on DHCP solves almost all the connectivity issues I have encountered. Note: I am not including all the times people fail to plug the network printer into the router as a connectivity problem - that is a user error.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.