Robot vacuum for pet hair and hardwood floor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TheOscarGuy

Robot vacuum for pet hair and hardwood floor

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:06 am

I have read and re-read earlier posts on BH on this topic. I have also researched and am down to these two that fit my budget: Neato D80 and Roomba 650.
I am seeking opinions from someone who has either of these. We have a relatively clutter free floor with some furniture throughout the living space/kitchen floor plan where we want to use vacuum. Its all either hard wood or tiles. There is an area rug (shaggy and thick). All of this for cleaning dog hair for our really hairy dog ;-)
I am tending towards 650 mainly due to price, reviews and known brand name. Someone we know recommended Neato to us but its more $$ and doesn't have as good reviews on amazon as the 650.
Your thoughts?

in_reality

Re: Robot vacuum for pet hair and hardwood floor

Post by in_reality » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:06 am
I have read and re-read earlier posts on BH on this topic. I have also researched and am down to these two that fit my budget: Neato D80 and Roomba 650.
I am seeking opinions from someone who has either of these. We have a relatively clutter free floor with some furniture throughout the living space/kitchen floor plan where we want to use vacuum. Its all either hard wood or tiles. There is an area rug (shaggy and thick). All of this for cleaning dog hair for our really hairy dog ;-)
I am tending towards 650 mainly due to price, reviews and known brand name. Someone we know recommended Neato to us but its more $$ and doesn't have as good reviews on amazon as the 650.
Your thoughts?
Look at the bristles on the 650. They seem likely to get pet hair tangled in them. Or are they short hairs which are unlikely to tangle? The more expensive 800 series has a different mechanism.

I'd like Neato D80 navigation. The randomness of the roomba annoys me slightly, but the D80 seems too small.

Anyway, I'd read up on the 650 vs the 800 for pet hair. Maybe it's not the difference I imagine it would be. We don't have a pet.

sophie1

Post by sophie1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 am

If you're going to go with Roomba, definitely get an 800 or 900 series. The rubber rollers are very easy to clean, and with two long-haired cats I do this weekly. Takes about 10 seconds.

I went with the 860 because I have no use for the wifi feature. Robot vacuum + pile of cat vomit = disaster. There's been talk of building in a gooey mess detection system, and even having the vacuum send a signal to a wet cleaner like the Brava to take care of it, but not anytime soon apparently.

Rotarman

Post by Rotarman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 am

I have a Roomba (don't remember the model but it's not Wi-Fi capable). While I don't have a pet, I do have a spouse who sheds mass amounts of hair. On hardwood floors, hair has less tendency to get stuck in the rollers (carpet it does more often). However the roller is very easy to clean. I just remove it, grab a utility knife and cut the hair across then throw away. Takes about a minute and I do it every few months.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:38 am

Rotarman wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 am
I have a Roomba (don't remember the model but it's not Wi-Fi capable). While I don't have a pet, I do have a spouse who sheds mass amounts of hair. On hardwood floors, hair has less tendency to get stuck in the rollers (carpet it does more often). However the roller is very easy to clean. I just remove it, grab a utility knife and cut the hair across then throw away. Takes about a minute and I do it every few months.
To each his own for mate selection ... :D

My Roomba 600 series can't make it one cycle without stopping "Error! 2! Clean Roomba's Brushes!!!" Maybe it's the third person that grates on me so.

Edited to add: I have no carpet, all hardwood or ceramic tile.
Last edited by mrc on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:51 am

I have a Roomba 600 series which I've upgraded with the pet parts that fit it from other series. It does well enough on the hardwood, although one must commit to cleaning the brushes after every run to get the cat hair out of the motor attachment. I have burned out one motor unit by slacking on that particular task. Mine does not do well with the low-pile area rug, so I can't imagine one would do well with your thick-pile area rug.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 am

I had a roomba, but I stopped using it as was super noisy. I work from home a lot, so it was very annoying.

It also took an hour to clean what took me 5 mins to vacuum.

Get a broom for hair. You could probably use the exercise :mrgreen:

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 pm

I've posted a bunch in that other BH thread. I have a Neato D5 - based on the app - it has covered just shy of 200K sq feet since we have had it.

Hardwood floors, two 100lb dogs and one black cat.

Runs 5 days a week.

If you can get your house picked up and all the 'trips' fixed - it will run pretty well. In fact it is running now as I type this.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 am
I had a roomba, but I stopped using it as was super noisy. I work from home a lot, so it was very annoying.

An hour to clean the bot? Takes me probably 15 minutes tops - once a month. It would take me an hour to do what it does AND I'd have to move the couch and bed to get underneath to vacuum like it does.

I work from home as well - and close the door - it does get on my nerves when it goes off - but it is more than worth it for what it does.

There is no way to do what mine does every day easily. For exercise - I'd prefer to walk my dogs.

If you can get it to run un-interrupted - it is an amazing device.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:59 am

rebellovw wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm
unclescrooge wrote:

An hour to clean the bot? Takes me probably 15 minutes tops - once a month. It would take me an hour to do what it does AND I'd have to move the couch and bed to get underneath to vacuum like it does.

I work from home as well - and close the door - it does get on my nerves when it goes off - but it is more than worth it for what it does.

There is no way to do what mine does every day easily. For exercise - I'd prefer to walk my dogs.

You probably have carpet. I have wood flooring with minimal furniture.

This makes it less useful, while also being noisier as sound didn't get absorbed.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 am

The breed of dog makes a difference! Short haired dogs like Pointers and Labs have hair that will "stick" to any cloth surface (rugs, carpets, clothes, etc). Long haired dogs (Irish Setters as an example) have silky hair that is much easier to deal with. Our Roomba seems to work ok with either on a hardwood floor.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:48 am

Just picked up the Roomba 665 about a week ago,set it to run daily,
Superb performance in all features,cleaning,power,etc,,,would purchase again in a heartbeat
Great Price Point. :happy
https://samsclub.com/sams/roomba-66 ... 0190841.ip
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:59 am
rebellovw wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm
unclescrooge wrote:

You probably have carpet. I have wood flooring with minimal furniture.

This makes it less useful, while also being noisier as sound didn't get absorbed.
Nope mostly hardwoods. Prior to the neato bot - there would be dust clobs under the couch and in various corners and long the walls. That is a thing of the past. Dogs shed like crazy and they are not long hair dogs - one is short (pit) the other is a bulky lab mix.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 am

Toons wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:48 am
Superb performance in all features,cleaning,power,etc,,,would purchase again in a heartbeat
Looking forward to a 1 year review! Parts are very expensive for these things.

Recent threads on Roombas got me to renovate our units for use again. Damn you people! Two new battery packs and a week later, a brush bar bearing (that I previously spent $$ to upgrade) froze. Now it's constant "<beep> Error 2! Clean Roomba's Brushes!" A new "brush bar module" is $50.

As I wait for Amazon to deliver, I will search for threads on the sunk cost fallacy for me. For you, a link to iRobot's parts page. You'll need it soon. :happy

PS: You can even spread out payments for the new battery packs with their "Affirm" program: "Enter a few pieces of information for a real-time decision. Checking your eligibility won't affect your credit score."
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:07 am

mrc wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 am
Toons wrote:

Recent threads on Roombas got me to renovate our units for use again. Damn you people! Two new battery packs and a week later, a brush bar bearing (that I previously spent $$ to upgrade) froze. Now it's constant "<beep> Error 2! Clean Roomba's Brushes!" A new "brush bar module" is $50.

As I wait for Amazon to deliver, I will search for threads on the sunk cost fallacy for me. For you, a link to iRobot's parts page. You'll need it soon. :happy

PS: You can even spread out payments for the new battery packs with their "Affirm" program: "Enter a few pieces of information for a real-time decision. Checking your eligibility won't affect your credit score."
Our Neato was more expensive - but it is the top reviewed model - tied with top of line roomba.

Going on a year - from stats app: 426.04 hours and covered 208527 sq ft.

Only expenses so far - filters (which I replace perhaps once every 2 months and side brush (little wall brush). I bought these in bulk at amazon for a nice savings.

The roller is the original which comes out - and is easily cleaned up with a tool they provide - it is in pretty poor shape but so far still good.

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:36 am

sophie1 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 am
...Robot vacuum + pile of cat vomit = disaster.
I apologize for laughing at your expense but that's too funny. I remember some photos years ago of "Roomba fails".

Yeti

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:48 am

have a samsung powerbot. Mostly hardwood floors and some area rugs, and a short hair dog. (coon hound mix?)

It's effective at sucking up the hair but the brushes need to be cleared every few runs.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:22 pm

mrc wrote:

don't forget to check amazon for parts.

on the irobot website an official replacement battery is $80.
on amazon the same thing is $40.
and you can gamble with no name replacement batteries for around $20.

reviews of the official battery on the irobot website are disappointing -- only half of respondents would recommend it. many complaints that it doesn't even last a year.

the battery on my roomba runs outta gas after 30 minutes. time to replace...

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:50 pm

Slight aside: I wish I had a good way to *try* a couple different Roombas and see how they work in my house. We've got tile, hardwood, carpet and a floor rug, along with some half-inch thresholds between each. Seems like the internet is pretty mixed on how effective it would be at handling those thresholds, transitioning surfaces, etc. Might just have to get a lighter, battery-powered vacuum to complement our massive and inconvenient Dyson upright.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:10 pm

mrc wrote:
Toons wrote:

Thanks for the info.
If it needs parts,
I will purchase them,
Fortunately I am at the stage of life where,
I don't question the cost much anymore,
If I need, want or something needs repair,
I take care of it and move on.
Everything wears out,,,, :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

drmoneytails

Post by drmoneytails » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:24 pm

We are on our second Roomba - The first one was a 500 series and it lasted just short of 2 years. We purchased the 695 two months ago.
I will always have a Roomba; can't go back now.
We have a dog that 2 cats and they shed like crazy. We run Roomba daily, empty it daily and I clean the brushes about once a week.
It does a great job at cleaning the first story of our condo (maybe 500 sq) with hard wood floors and tile. We do a deeper cleaning about once a week as well but this little robot makes life so much better. Before Roomba, we used to vacuum/sweep daily because we couldn't stand the pet hair. Now we only do it once a week. We are also clean freaks..

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Have a roomba 980. Have had it over a year, one brush replacement is it (wife’s long hair ‘cut’ the plastic roller).

They work amazing, have had no issues. Each day amazingly the bin comes back with a ton of crap - WAY more than I get sweeping once a week. We have hardwood / tile / area rug and a cat

Haven’t tried Neato so cant comment but love roomba