Vanguard and restriction to unrecognized computer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
boater07

Vanguard and restriction to unrecognized computer

Post by boater07 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am

I have used this security feature for quite a while. It was set up for my main desktop.
Yesterday I was able log in with my laptop on the same internet.
So, I guess the restriction applies to an unrecognized internet.
What about the reverse? If I set it for my laptop, what happens when I'm out of the area.

Could somebody enlighten me how this works

jebmke

Re: Vanguard and restriction to unrecognized computer

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:58 am

I have no idea how it works. I think the prudent approach is to use 2FA for every log in. It isn't complicated.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

Are you sure you never once in the past used the laptop to access Vanguard? Certain types of cookies can be quite persistent unless you know how to clean them. Also, your IP address for your desktop and laptop are identical while you are at home and using the same router. Unless you paid for a SOHO plan with an IP address block, most ISPs give one public IP address to all devices behind your router.

Cookies and IP addresses are two common ways to "recognize" a computer. Based on a prior thread here where a user was able to access Vanguard in incognito mode, it is possible Vanguard uses both methods, plus perhaps also the browser type (e.g. if you normally use Chrome, Vanguard may remember that). Vanguard's own website says it's all persistent cookies though: https://investor.vanguard.com/customer- ... me-browser

meebers

Post by meebers » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 am

To satisfy my own need to keep things "cleaned up", once per week I clean out my browsers, mainly cookies etc. This upsets vanguard log in as well as other financial institutions and I get the unrecognized computer notice. Sometimes it still logs in without issue but sends an email about an unrecognized computer was used to access your account. Usually the 2 step verification process restores the confidence and I am good for another week.

boater07

Post by boater07 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 am

Thank you both for clarifying.
2FA is wonderful if you have a smart phone. Is there anyone left besides me without one?? :wink:

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:26 am

It seems to be based on a software signature as every-time I wipe a device and reinstall I also have to reauthorize the device for all accounts with such protection.

spoonfork

Post by spoonfork » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:28 am

boater07 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 am
2FA is wonderful if you have a smart phone. Is there anyone left besides me without one?? :wink:
You should be able to get a text message on a regular cell phone

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:31 am

boater07 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 am
It's been a why since I had to authenticate my computer, but isn't there an option to just get an old-fashioned phone call with the code? Vanguard's own website says that's available: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... des-112015

boater07

Post by boater07 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Thank you so much. I learn something new every day. I was of the impression it had to go as a text.
Will set it up. :sharebeer

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:55 pm

As spoonfork said earlier, older "feature" phones can receive and send texts. Mine did. But the sending was a convoluted process. Incoming should still work.