Thank you Boglehead.org

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general SatuMedia community discussion, news, events, and announcements
JD101

Thank you Boglehead.org

Post by JD101 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 am

It's been only few days since I have joined and I find this community terrific. There is wealth of knowledge and willingness to reply on range of issues. Within few minutes there are so many answers. Thank you :sharebeer

nedsaid

Re: Thank you Boglehead.org

Post by nedsaid » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:11 pm

I was an experienced investor when I joined the site, I lurked here for a while before joining and posting. I have learned a lot here. You can go beginner, intermediate, and advanced here. Something here for everyone. Wishing you the very best and hope you will enjoy the forum.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:18 pm

It is a truly remarkable community. I have benefited from the folks here beyond my wildest dreams of what an Internet forum could be.
Semper Augustus

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:20 pm

It's great isn't it?! So fortunate to have this community.

:sharebeer

DA

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:24 pm

I have gotten insights here that have really helped me make decisions about a range of personal finance issues -- including whether to accept my company's voluntary separation package. :D

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:51 pm

Keep all that enthusiastic chatter down in there! We're trying to keep this place quiet. :shock:
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm

JD101 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 am
It's been only few days since I have joined and I find this community terrific. There is wealth of knowledge and willingness to reply on range of issues. Within few minutes there are so many answers. Thank you :sharebeer
JD101:

The secret is out. We receive the largest (posts/day) personal investment forum on the internet. No wonder; we are totally non-commercial so that our advice/suggestions are not tainted with conflict-of-interest--which permeates the investment industry.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 pm

^^^^ And that guy right above is a huge part of what this place is all about and why it is here. Thank you Mr. Larimore!
Semper Augustus

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:38 pm

We "suffer" from a tight moderation policy (I got tagged a few times in the early months) but in exchange we have a vibrant but courteous forum. Hope you enjoy, learn and then contribute to education of others.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 pm

David Jay wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:38 pm
We "suffer" from a tight moderation policy (I got tagged a few times in the early months) but in exchange we have a vibrant but courteous forum. Hope you enjoy, learn and then contribute to education of others.
The only thing worse than the moderation here is if we didn’t have moderation.

I have sometimes not displayed my finest Tomato here, but I have been gently reminded to be Tomahto.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:14 pm

There is no other forum that I know of that will give fairly unbiased, no spin, expert advice on an investment portfolio allocation as well as recommendations on which toilets flush better than others on a bathroom remodel. :D
j

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:23 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 pm
David Jay wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:38 pm
The only thing worse than the moderation here is if we didn’t have moderation.

I have sometimes not displayed my finest Tomato here, but I have been gently reminded to be Tomahto.
Good one!
:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:25 pm

+1 for the incredible moderation. They can tell when a thread is about to go off the rails and avert disaster.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:10 pm

JD101 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 am
Some helpful links:
Bogle Philosophy
/wiki/Bogleh ... hilosophy
Here are links to the wiki's "Getting Started" and "Investing Startup Kit" pages:
/wiki/Getting_started
/wiki/Bogleh ... rt-up_kit
Define General Investment Goals and Objectives
/wiki/Invest ... statement
Outline of Investing
/wiki/Outline_of_investing
Suggested Reading List
/RecommendedReading.php
What the experts say about investing
/wiki/What_ ... investing
Asking Portfolio Questions
/forum/viewt ... =1&t=6212

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:14 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 pm
+1
That is just so awesome. Makes me wish I had your handle.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:29 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and SatuMedia Community forum (Community).

The moderators appreciate the compliments, thanks.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JD101

Post by JD101 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:38 am

I thought there are regular folks like me here. Some of the people are unbelievable, they are quoting, posting charts, data, links which makes you think, do they do this for living? Moderation is top notch, everything is flowing smoothly without digression.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:45 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:14 pm
There is no other forum that I know of that will give fairly unbiased, no spin, expert advice on an investment portfolio allocation as well as recommendations on which toilets flush better than others on a bathroom remodel. :D
j
Or how to deal with fraud, elderly dementia, kids, wine...

:beer
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:18 am

Thanks for the kind words; they're certainly appreciated. There's nothing more rewarding for me than hearing that we had a positive impact on people's lives. That's pretty heady stuff when you think about it.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:52 am

JD101 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:38 am
I thought there are regular folks like me here. Some of the people are unbelievable, they are quoting, posting charts, data, links which makes you think, do they do this for living? Moderation is top notch, everything is flowing smoothly without digression.
Many of us have learned so much here, and in some cases it may have meant a huge improvement for retirement.
... and in some cases, totally different areas, as mentioned by others.
That would make it a bit difficult *not* to pass along similar assistance, for whatever each of us "knows" well enough to help, etc.

We have many here to thank, very significantly, and also at Morningstar discussions.
(Ditto CruiseCritic.com, which has been of tremendous help in our cruising experiences, so we try to post that, when relevant to travel queries.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 am

Teague wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:16 pm
^^^^ And that guy right above is a huge part of what this place is all about and why it is here. Thank you Mr. Larimore!
Yessssss!
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:17 pm

I was looking for advice on social security benefits and tumbled onto this site by accident and got hooked because of BHs' incredible willingness to help . I'm indebted to sscritic who is no longer on here for his knowledge although his comments could be biting sometimes. And no, I didn't follow his advice to watch the daily Chinese soap opera.

TravelforFun

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm indebted to sscritic who is no longer on here for his knowledge
+1
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 am

Reading about the life experiences of other people has been incredible helpful as well as advice on non-investment topics.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Tortuga

Post by Tortuga » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 am

...and don't forget the "Support this Site" link at the top of the page!

Tortuga