Shoes & Sandals & Athletic & Hiking Wear

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TresBelle65

Shoes & Sandals & Athletic & Hiking Wear

Post by TresBelle65 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:20 am

Looking for recommended brands of shoes, sandals, running & hiking shoes.

Currently wearing Saucony & Keens for athletic wear - they seem to hold up well, so perhaps the issue I am having most is with well made shoes & sandals that are longer lasting, fit well and are made of quality materials. Cheaping out on these has been a hassle. I am ready to pony up.

PS - just bought my first ever pair of Birkenstocks in one of the less clunky styles - wow, seem well made and durable.

Thank you.

Pajamas

Re: Shoes & Sandals & Athletic & Hiking Wear

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:24 am

Try Chaco sandals. They are practically indestructible, although most of them are no longer made in the U.S. as they were just a few years ago.

To save money on clothing and shoes, I have found it is best to stick with the best brands and get them on sale rather than buy brands that are not as well made. You can also get lucky on eBay every once in a while and Amazon clears out seasonal inventory or overstock by reducing prices without announcing it. Some major manufacturers also have online outlets, but even those have sales, so the outlets also vary from just okay prices to great deals.

Sierra Trading Post is TJ Maxx's sister company that specializes in outdoor and athletic apparel but TJ Maxx and Marshals also will have the occasional great deal on the sale rack. It helps if you wear unusually large or small sizes, though.

Target is also stocking some better-designed and more durable outdoor clothing than they used to.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 am

In Hawaii, it's slippers, rubber slippers, AKA flip flops. . . or bare feet, for all uses. :D

Otherwise, New Balance, Rockport, Danner. . . maybe. . .

I got these wide 4EEE Hawaiian feet that make shoe shopping frustrating. :shock:

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:08 pm

My feet are a bit wide. I’ve found that Keen hiking shoes fit them perfectly. I use them as my standard footwear. I also have a pair of Keen steel toe boots for a recent construction site job assignment.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:39 pm

I walked across half of California and virtually all of Arizona in these Merrell Moab Ventilator 2 shoes:

Wide toe box, good Vibram soles. I liked them so much, I bought a second pair, and wear them pretty much all the time.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Kersten

Post by Kersten » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm

For hiking-Merrell Moab Ventilator-when I journeyed from Florida to Utah this summer for the Wildflower festival and hiking events, I asked my son what shoes he would recommend, as he is a avid hiker with the Sierra Club and other groups in the Salt Lake City area. The Merrell has been his "go to" hiking shoe for a couple of years. I purchased a pair for around $100.00. Well worth the price.

For sandals-When I first retired and set up my home based business (art studio) I found that daily walking on tile floors was KILLING my feet and legs. So I purchased slippers from VIONIC. All foot and leg problems were solved. It may be because of their "orthoheel technology" which means a built in insert that is friendly to your feet, body alignment, etc. When needing new sandals I decided to purchase them through Vionics. It was a very good decision. Price is around $100-well worth it.

I have now thrown away all other and old sandals and other hiking boots and rely on the above.

flowerpower

Post by flowerpower » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:31 am

You may want to try Uniqlo and Costco for athletic wear. I got a $10 merino wool base layer from Costco that is perfect for hiking.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:47 pm

A little late, but I love my Teva sandals. Have been going on my current pair for almost 5 years.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 pm

Have had good luck with Keen for lighter duty and Timberland for more serious hiking. Love Birkenstocks for comfort but I wear them out ridiculously fast, talking like the sole is toast and separating in 6 weeks with everyday use. Seriously.............

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 pm

I went from Merrell giant waterproof hiking boots to Merrell Moab hiking shoes to Asics trail runners. Lightweight Smartwool ankle high running socks are durable.

I am also a big fan of Reef and Teva sandals for the beach and they are decent for easy hiking if required.

Under Armour synthetic clothing is great for hiking and fits nicely.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:35 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 am
In Hawaii, it's slippers, rubber slippers, AKA flip flops. . . or bare feet, for all uses. :D

I got these wide 4EEE Hawaiian feet that make shoe shopping frustrating. :shock:

It's "slippahs" in Hawaii, isn't it? Not slippers. :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:35 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 am

It's "slippahs" in Hawaii, isn't it? Not slippers. :D
Yes.
Slippahs.. . as in. . . . I went buss (broke) my slippahs brah (friend). . . :D