Storage Recommendations for pictures

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Coolstavi

Storage Recommendations for pictures

Post by Coolstavi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:12 pm

I just realized this today (and probably should have much sooner) but I have 2 years of pictures/videos of my son of my computer. The hard drive could crash any day now and we would lose all of those memories. That would be HORRIBLE if it happened. So now with that thought, I need to figure out how I am going to store these pictures forever. I have no idea where to start as I am not super tech savvy.

What would be the best way to go about this? I have no idea where to begin researching this.

Rob5TCP

Re: Storage Recommendations for pictures

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:14 pm

External hard drive or
flash drive
I would do both and keep them in separate places.
If you have a huge # of large files
even cloud based backups are an option.

Dmanse02

Post by Dmanse02 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Download Google Photos to your computer. It will start automatically backing up all pictures and videos that it can find on your hard drive to its "cloud". And sort them by date. You can also download the app to your phone, and all pictures and videos that you capture with your phone will automatically be backed up to the cloud. This will save you storage on your phone. It has been a life saver for phone space with 2 little ones.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm

I use Smugmug. And CrashPlan.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:37 pm

DW and I use multiple hard drives in our offices for photo portfolios, they are all docked so we can backup to external drives easily and put them elsewhere. It wouldn't work for us to do some sort of cloud service or website service because there's just too much and it would be costly.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:40 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm
I use Smugmug. And CrashPlan.
We have a SmugMug small website. I did not know it could be used for storage?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Dropbox. Photos are automatically pushed to the cloud once loaded on the computer.

I don't fret too much about it. When you really think about it, pictures from the past are hardly looked at.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Almost any cloud service will have an option to automatically upload your photos and keep your library updated when you add new ones. https://mega.nz does so and gives you 50 gigs free.

There are so many others it’s hardly worth listing but among the most popular are Google, Dropbox, amazon. If you’re on the Apple ecosystem, photos and iCloud will be seamless. Additionally, a cheap usb drive or two. I’d get 2 and put them in different locations. Use proper back up software instead of dragging things over to copy. You’ll thank me when the hard drive crahes and you need to restore everything including your computer settings and system files. I use both time machine and carbon copy cloner on a Mac for two different types of back ups.

In this day and age, there’s no excuse for not having at least one back up. A 1 terabyte drive will cost you ~$60.

A 4 terabyte drive is a little over $100.

JDot

Post by JDot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 pm

If you're not a professional photographer and/or shooting in RAW, google photos is all you need. Trust me, you will thank me. It will do so much with your photos and videos you will be amazed.

Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Prime photos works great if you use amazon prime anyway. Unlimited photos but you do have a limit on video storage so may have to pay a little if you want to
backup videos.

Boogieknight

Post by Boogieknight » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:20 am

Most of the above suggestions, in and of themselves, are NOT good backup solutions....

Dropbox, etc. -- It replicates stuff to the cloud that's stored on your hard drive. Sounds like a backup, but if you inadvertently delete something from your hard drive, it disappears almost instantly from the cloud. Gone. Dropbox is good if your PC gets damaged or stolen.

Flash Drive, etc. -- It replicates stuff to an external device, but if it's stored say in your house and the house is destroyed, your stuff is gone.

You need a combination of the two. I use Dropbox and like it a lot. It lets me access the contents of my hard drive (pictures, documents, etc. from anywhere. If my house burns down I do have a backup. And I don't have to take the flash drive elsewhere. By coincidence, I duplicated my hard drive to an external flash drive this morning. If I inadvertently delete a folder full of stuff, I have a copy. I do it about once a month.

Like I said, I like Dropbox a lot. It's really easy to use, and about $8 a month for one terabyte. I'm just starting to explore other things Dropbox can do: collaboration, cloud apps, stuff like that. Highly recommended. Though I can't say it's better or worse than Google Drive, OneCloud, etc. I wouldn't know. I think there are other threads on here that go into some of that.

Hope that helps....

viking112347

Post by viking112347 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:36 am

Definitely in favor of Google Photos. Free, unlimited storage of photos up to 16MB resolution and videos up to 1080P. They organize the photos/videos, allow you to easily search photos, lots of sharing options.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 am

Costco has 2TB drives for less than $70.

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:56 am

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am

Flickr is good and easy to use and has massive free storage. Just get a yahoo mail address (free) and use that to log in to it (Flickr).
[Flickr is owned by yahoo.]
It has albums so you can easily organize your photos anyway you want (by year, say, or by which child, or any criteria you want).
It's really easy with just a little playing around with it.

Also get a couple of (USB) external drives as others have mentioned right away and store all photos/videos on both of them.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:57 am

I used to do the copy to various devices and scatter routine but it grew too hard to keep track of and I found I didn't do it often enough as I probably should. Quite a number of years ago I bought a subscription to Carbonite which backs up all those files automatically to the cloud. I never have to think about it anymore. It just happens.

Some perks to storing it to the cloud automatically:

1. With apps or login credentials, you can access your backup files anywhere in the world with internet access. I have found that handy when I didn't bring the proper files along with me.

2. When it came time to upgrade my home computer, it was as simple as connecting up the new computer and restoring all those files stored on the cloud to my new machine. With a few clicks, the process started and worked in the background while I went on to more pressing issues like getting the new computer to work with my old printer, etc.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 am

Amazon Prime has unlimited photo storage. I think Google does too but with some limitations on file size.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 am

Use at least two backups --an external storage device of some sort and a cloud service such as Google photos. A service such as Google's is really great if you take most of your photos and videos with your phone, as it backs up automatically. If you take most of your photos with a digital camera, download the files to your computer and back up the files on your computer to an external harddrive every once in a while (I advise weekly -- you should be doing this anyway with or without precious photos to save). Also, SD cards have become so cheap you could just buy a new one when you fill one up, rather than the deleting the photos from the old one to make room, and save those SD cards somewhere, e.g., a fire/flood-proof lock box or safe deposit box, as a backup.

tinscale

Post by tinscale » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 am

Google Photos - You have to select the "High Quality" option and not "Original" to get free unlimited storage. High quality compressed the resolution to 16MP, which should be fine in most cases. You can read more about it if concerned.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:55 am

I just put them on the two external drives with all my other backups and rotate the two drives between my desk and my safe-deposit box every few months.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am

I have them backed up on NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive at home which I then backup with a separate hard drive every year after tax time and keep that one at my desk at work in case of fire or theft of the two copies at home. Worst case is I'm out a years worth of pictures that aren't on my phone.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 am

beezquimby

Post by beezquimby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:19 am

Google Photos
I have 90,000 photos uploaded, will be uploading probably 40-50K more photos soon.
Once they are uploaded you can search by face, event, place. The only issue I have had so far is that some of the photos when I shot them were not properly date stamped.