Resume Builder

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
JD101

Resume Builder

Post by JD101 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:28 pm

I have seen some non finance questions on this forum and hence decided to float this query. If this is not in line, moderators, please delete it. Also, let me know if it is okay to ask employment related question on this forum.

Here goes the question:

Have you used online resume builder websites for your resume? If yes, would you recommend one? or It is better to build one in word. Sometimes when you go on these online websites they keep bombarding with marketing material.

mega317

Re: Resume Builder

Post by mega317 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:40 pm

I haven't had much success with having someone or something else create my resume. Maybe resumes in my field are unusual or I'm just picky, but I haven't found anything online helpful. What was helpful was seeing a bunch of my colleague's resumes. I basically just used the one I liked most and changed the text.

Pacman

Re: Resume Builder

Post by Pacman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:51 pm

This is field & age dependent, however, my recommendation would be to search for resumes of MBA's at top schools, and use the formatting/structure of the resumes you like, and build off of that in Word. Look up LinkedIn profiles of other people with similar experience as you and see how they frame their experience (and what type of power words they use). And finally, include keywords in your resume for the jobs you are searching.