Non Stick frying pan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
msi

Re: Non Stick frying pan

Post by msi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 pm

I've tried Calphalon, T-fal, and the like, but Anolon has been by far the most durable and best performing.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:17 pm

mega317 wrote:
EnjoyIt wrote:Bogleheds,
I need a little consumer advice on purchasing a good non stick frying pan. I cook eggs at least 3 times a week and need a frying pan that will hold up to this constant abuse of sticky eggs and cheese. I have tried upgrading to Calphalon with fantastic results at first but after about 2 years it turned into junk. I used their lifetime warranty and had it replaced to have the exact same thing happen in under 1 year. Generally I clean the pan after using dawn, warm water and a soft sponge.

BTW, the Calphalon pan cooked great, evenly heated without any issues until the non-stick layer finally came off.

Calphalon wasn't cheap but at this point I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money for a good nonstick pan.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
You have a pan that gave you "fantastic results" and has a "lifetime warranty". Sounds like you're all set.
interesting comment....Are you telling me to just have Calphalon replace it? Again? How many times you think they will do that for me?

To everyone else,
Thanks so much for all your comments. I had a chance to watch a few of those videos cooking eggs on steel vs iron. It appears that both will do a fine job and now I can't decide. I have always been curios about cooking on iron and steel but never actually gave it a try. Iron seams to be pretty cheap compared to a decent 3 ply steel skillet. Macy's is currently selling All Clad 3 ply for $99 for a 10" frying pan. While I can buy a lodge 10 skillet at Walmart for about $16. Ohh the decisions.

Just one point, I have no problem using oil when cooking but prefer to use as little as possible which is why I have been drawn to the non-stick in the past.

bnes

Post by bnes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:35 pm

Cast Iron works great here, and we're not afraid to use soap to clean them either. After a few years the seasoning gets seriously baked on, I have found no reason to worry about it. The only way to permanently kill a cast iron pan is to leave it wet after use.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 pm

EnjoyIt wrote: interesting comment....Are you telling me to just have Calphalon replace it? Again? How many times you think they will do that for me?
Yep. I don't know how many times they will replace it but if you otherwise like the pan I would keep getting new ones until they cut you off. I don't see it as abusing the warranty; if all the posters here know, then the company must know it's not going to last that long.

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Splanchnic wrote:NP3!! Lol! I like your style! Why not cerakote?
NP3 actually makes a lot of sense - it's got a very low coefficient of friction (below 0.1 dry) and a high Rockwell hardness - in theory, that should translate to a nonstick surface that stands up to abrasion. I mean, if it can survive the heat and impact on a rifle bolt, a kitchen should be a walk in the park.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 am

I bought a "GreenPan" brand non-stick frying pan several years ago. It has a smooth ceramic coating. I absolutely love it.

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 am

Teague wrote:They're all terrible, every single one of them, at least as far as durability goes.

I and others have been down the road you seek to follow. It leads only to frustration.
That's what we have found. They all end up with scratches sooner or later. I finally convinced my wife to use a stainless steel pan that we have and after some resistance she has been happy with it. No problem with things sticking so far.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 am
Get yourself a good cast iron pan, use a little oil and it's totally non stick even with eggs. Iron is better for you than aluminum as well.

Lodge is common, here is the fancy brand

http://stargazercastiron.com/
Thanks to sunny_socal's suggestion, I placed an order for a Stargazer cast iron pan last night. I have tried several different Lodge cast iron pans in the past, but the rough cooking surface of those pans was definitely not non-stick, no matter how I tried to season it. I am hopeful that the smooth cooking surface of the Stargazer pan will do a better job. The pan was not cheap ($88 for a pre-seasoned pan + $10 delivery), but apparently half the cost of the pan is due to the machining process to make the interior smooth. We'll see.....

flowerpower

Post by flowerpower » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Hands down, the copper frying pan as seen on TV has provided the best results. Highly recommend and worth the cost IMHO.

I also use cast iron but the time involved to maintain it de-motivates me from using it too much.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am

To close out this thread, I bought a lodge cast iron pan and have been very happily using it for a few months now. Although it is heavy and cumbersome at times, I have been very happy with the results. Eggs are indeed nonstick and I clean the cooking surface with a thick brush and very warm water. Soap comes nowhere near the thing.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:31 am
sunny_socal wrote:Get yourself a good cast iron pan, use a little oil and it's totally non stick even with eggs. Iron is better for you than aluminum as well.

Lodge is common, here is the fancy brand

http://stargazercastiron.com/
Is this really true? do cast iron pans really not stick with just some spray oil on it?
Not really true. True if you are an expert with cast iron - but if you are rookie - it will take lots of time to figure out the magic. When it works - it works - but just a slight crust from a previous use - will cause the eggs to stick - cast iron has to be like a tooth - (when the dentist scrapes it - until there is no resistance.)

Ex - I'll fry sausage on the cast iron - then scrape - until absolutely smooth - no resistance - then some oil or butter etc - and eggs will come out fine.

I now use a little 6 inch egg only pan for eggs - so much easier. And there is no reason to wash the non-stick pan - just wipe clean and re-spray with cooking spray.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:40 am
I only use All-Clad and my trusty Lodge cast iron for cooking anything. Just use oil or spray and you will be fine.
I heartily endorse cast iron for cooking eggs as the OP was asking, and a huge plus is that you can use metal spatulas rather than the wimpy ones for non-stick pans. I love a long metal spatula that I use for flipping out an omelette like a pro.

But it is not true that you can use unlined cast iron for "anything." Acidic foods (spaghetti, chili) may cause leaching of iron, a risk for Alzheimers etc.

I would cook the chili in a crock pot, but make the cornbread in the cast iron pan.

That is another plus, that it can safely be put in an oven.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:14 pm

bovineplane wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:31 am
Cast iron. Lodge is great and inexpensive. It will last forever.

I cook eggs on mine every day. 10 inch is nice for eggs but a bit small if you cook for a family regularly. 14 inch is nice for big meals but quite heavy. 12 inch I have found to be the most versatile. I think both amazon and walmart have these. I also see them alot at yard or estate sales. Even if it looks warn out, it is not and can be seasoned back to use.

This is how I keep mine: 1. Never wash with soap. 2. Season after use with some type of oil. Can be vegetable, bacon grease, peanut oil, etc. Olive oil works but smokes at lower temps than the others. 3. Electric stoves and cast iron can be tricky as it takes forever to heat up evenly. Works much better on gas. 4. Don't be afraid to use it on an outdoor grill. Works great. 5. To wash, wipe out left over food with towel (paper or otherwise), and bit of water and clean scrub brush if necessary, place back on stove on medium to warm up, when warm add a bit of oil and spread evenly, allow to cool before putting away. 6. You will find most times you dont need spray before cooking if you do above but it doesnt hurt. Just a bit. Again the reminder on olive oils and smoke as pam or other sprays have an olive oil variant.

To re- season if your wife refuses to follow above and uses soap every time she uses the pan you can use the oil method above but will take quite a bit of oil to season and may require more than one application.

Lastly, non-stick pans suck.
That is a lot of work for a pan.Wow.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

iceport

Post by iceport » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:07 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am
To close out this thread, I bought a lodge cast iron pan and have been very happily using it for a few months now. Although it is heavy and cumbersome at times, I have been very happy with the results. Eggs are indeed nonstick and I clean the cooking surface with a thick brush and very warm water. Soap comes nowhere near the thing.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Sounds like you've found what you were looking for, EnjoyIt. However, I'd just like to report a recent find that I'm extremely impressed with, albeit after only about a month.

Scanpan non-stick pots and pans. Their website offers few details about the coating, but Sur la table describes it as a ceramic titanium. Their small 60th anniversary collection (available through Amazon — or — and elsewhere) is priced at a deep discount.

These are high quality pans that cook evenly without scorching food. (The aluminum ones I bought are not for induction burners, though.) I've been cooking eggs, various styles, with enormous success. I use a little oil or butter, but I don't think that's necessary. The ceramic titanium coating supposedly stands up to metal utensil use, though I'm not trying that. It is also dishwasher safe, oven safe up to 500 degrees, and searing is not discouraged.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:24 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 pm
I need a little consumer advice on purchasing a good non stick frying pan. I cook eggs at least 3 times a week and need a frying pan that will hold up to this constant abuse of sticky eggs and cheese. I have tried upgrading to Calphalon with fantastic results at first but after about 2 years it turned into junk. I used their lifetime warranty and had it replaced to have the exact same thing happen in under 1 year.
There is no such thing as a non-stick coating that will last forever under use. After all, it's non-stick, so it will eventually come off the pan. I think we cook eggs 5 times a week.

I have 2 types of non-stick in my kitchen:

1) Life time warranty - Calphalon non-stick that I've had for over 15 years. Every single pan has been replaced under warranty for free. The omelette pan alone has been replaced probably 4-5 times. Calphalon has excellent customer service. Basically I have bought a lifetime's use of a set of non-stick cookware.

2) Cheap commercial grade - Pans bought at warehouse club. When it's worn, I throw it away. Disposable.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 pm

What about the "ceramic" nonsticks? we got one a year or two ago and it's all beaten to heck now. permanently stained and not as slippery as it used to be.

Any good options there for a replacement?

iceport

Post by iceport » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Easy Rhino wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 pm
What about the "ceramic" nonsticks? we got one a year or two ago and it's all beaten to heck now. permanently stained and not as slippery as it used to be.

Any good options there for a replacement?
Easy Rhino, see above. I don't have long term experience with Scanpan yet, but I am quite hopeful...
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein