Growing old without kids or younger caring relatives

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
visualguy

Re: Growing old without kids or younger caring relatives

Post by visualguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 am

Truly depressing to think about this, and very easy to be in denial. If I remember correctly, about 15% of people never have children in the US, so this is a fairly common problem.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Dave bricoleur wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:52 pm
and re: suicide when feeble

It might be possible to set up an email deadman switch so that after some number of unanswered emails it funds "Dial-a-Hitman" and a professional comes out to finish me off when I'm face down in the mashed potatoes.

Hopefully the hitman looks first to make sure it's not an unplugged modem or overly active spam filter...

-dave
LOL. Thanks! :happy

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 pm

As I'm only 36, I've only given this a small amount of thought. I have a parent with Alzheimer's, so my #1 thing is that I will not let that happen to me. I just hope I can do something about it before it's too late.

I'm saving tons of money for "retirement," no wife, no kids, no real desire for either. I just plan to move to south america or somewhere similar at around 50, 55, 60 years old. Enjoy life as much as possible, and when it's time to go, I'll figure out a way.

Death and old age isn't something I waste much of my time thinking about.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am

6miths wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:58 pm
...the secret to happiness in old age was to have at least two daughters...
The Blue Zones, a book on longevity, reported that, on average, men with daughters live longer. Seems to be true for my father :)

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:08 pm

I have been on vacation and just saw this thread. Two alternatives for this concern are residential and in-home continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs). As an example, here are two links to an organization that offers both services:

In-Home Support

https://kendalathome.org/kendal-at-home-living

Residential Community Support

https://kao.kendal.org

You have to shop carefully, but there are many high quality, reputable, usually not-for-profit residential CCRCs across the US.

The in-home CCRC model is much more difficult to develop and there are very few of them in the US. The link I have provided is for a program located in northeastern Ohio, but they may be a good source for information about similar programs elsewhere in the country.

Either model provides a caring organization that will look after you, advocate for you, and coordinate 100% of your life care needs for the rest of your life. Many people who have adult children choose these models to maintain their independence and minimize impacts on their children's lives as they age. For people who do not have adult children or other living relatives these models can provide possible choices for the question posed by this thread.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:08 pm

I recently found out that there are many new senior coop apartment residences springing up around the Midwest. The model seems to be about 50-60 apartments. You purchase your own apartment and pay a monthly fee that covers utilities, maintenance, property taxes, etc. Generally residents must be 55+, 65+ or so. The residents govern their own community, and there seems to be a shared community mentality, frequent social interaction, and so forth. You are living independently in your own apartment, but as you age in place you would be able to hire home care to remain in your apartment. If the time comes to move to an assisted living facility or nursing home, the coop takes care of selling your apartment with a minimum of fuss and cost. My guess is that the community of residents will likely provide mutual support for each other, so you'll have people around. Also, it seems to me that the community of residents may be a good resource for developing plans, resources, and professional contacts to help with aging. I'm looking into this alternative right now.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing