Need Help selecting Vanguard Funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
lalainvest552

Need Help selecting Vanguard Funds

Post by lalainvest552 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:51 pm

I would like to open a Vanguard account and invest $5,000 to $15,000 to get started. Was hoping to start on the lower amount and am not sure which funds I should start in. I had 3 that seem to look good but then realized that all 3 have a $10,000 minimum which would be $30,000. More than I would like to do right now. Any suggestions!

sport

Re: Need Help selecting Vanguard Funds

Post by sport » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Take a look at the Target Retirement Funds. Select one that has the allocation you prefer. Minimum investment is $1000.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:09 pm

The 10k minimum is for an Admiral class VG index fund. The same mutual fund has an Investor class with a 3k minimum. When the Investor class fund balance reaches 10k, VG will change it to an Admiral class fund (with its lower expense ratio).

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Oh Ok thanks. I will go back and take a look at the 3 I was thinking about and check out the investor class, I was in the admiral class.

Hoosens

Post by Hoosens » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:12 pm

At those amounts, you would be best served in a Target Date Retirement Fund. Find the one with your desired AA, put your money there, continue to fund it as you are able (through automatic deductions from your checking account if you can), leave it alone, check it once a year. Keep it simple for now.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:04 pm

lalainvest552 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:51 pm
I would like to open a Vanguard account and invest $5,000 to $15,000 to get started. Was hoping to start on the lower amount and am not sure which funds I should start in. I had 3 that seem to look good but then realized that all 3 have a $10,000 minimum which would be $30,000. More than I would like to do right now. Any suggestions!
Some additional information would be helpful.

What is your age?

What is your tax bracket, both federal and state?

Is there an asset allocation (stock/bond mix) that you want to aim for?

What type of account at Vanguard do you intend? An IRA?

Do you have any other accounts and investments?

You can simply add this to your original post using the edit button, it helps a lot if all of your information is in one place.

.. . . . .

For $5-15k you could consider simply using just a single fund like a Vanguard target date fund, a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund, Vanguard Balanced Index Fund, Vanguard Wellington Fund, or Vanguard Tax-Managed Balanced Fund.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Some helpful links:
Bogle Philosophy
/wiki/Bogleh ... hilosophy
Here are links to the wiki's "Getting Started" and "Investing Startup Kit" pages:
/wiki/Getting_started
/wiki/Bogleh ... rt-up_kit
Define General Investment Goals and Objectives
/wiki/Invest ... statement
Outline of Investing
/wiki/Outline_of_investing
Suggested Reading List
/RecommendedReading.php
What the experts say about investing
/wiki/What_ ... investing

Try this to give a greater context that applies to you in particular.
Asking Portfolio Questions
/forum/viewt ... =1&t=6212

What funds were you considering?
Why?
Can you afford to invest $15,000 without having to touch it for a long time?

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:39 pm

And the "3 that seem to look good" are..........

lalainvest552

Post by lalainvest552 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:14 pm

I was thinking Total US Stock Market, Total International Stock Market and Total US Bond Market. I want to open an account and am thinking about a General Joint Savings account with my husband. Just put $3,000 in each of those funds. My husband (47) and I (49) have Simple IRA's and Traditional IRA's at EJ for now, and just want to do something at Vanguard to see how that goes. I Know you can't provide the best advice without all our info but I just don't have all the info at my finger tips at the moment.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:21 pm

If this is for a taxable account and you are in the 25% tax bracket or higher, you may want to look at Intermediate Tax Exempt, instead of Total Bond Market. If you already have a large portfolio, you could even just start with Total Stock, since $10K wouldn't affect your overall portfolio much. Note that the already-mentioned Target Retirement and Life Strategy funds are comprised of the 3 funds that you mentioned, along with a small bit of International Bond.