Taylor's New Book: The SatuMedia' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Mel Lindauer

Re: Taylor's New Book: The SatuMedia' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:38 am

ndchamp wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:41 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 pm
ndchamp wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm
Sounds like a wonderful addition to the Boglehead's Guide books.
I'll be waiting for the Kindle edition.
Still would love to see a follow-up to the Retirement Planning guide, giving insights to living/spending DURING retirement. And who better than Taylor to write it?
Thanks guys, keep up the good work.
ndchamp:

I appreciate your compliment, but take another look at your "SatuMedia' Guide to Retirement Planning" --especially Part III: "Managing Your Retirement Accounts."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,
True enough, but being retired and in my late 70's I would love to see a great deal more on managing my retirement then just the accounts.
Thanks again.
Nelson
Hi Nelson:

That just may well be our next project if we ever find enough time to tackle it.

God knows we have lots of experience in this area. I've been retired for 20 years and Taylor rode Noah's ark into retirement. 8-)

Best regards,

Mel

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:38 am
God knows we have lots of experience in this area. I've been retired for 20 years and Taylor rode Noah's ark into retirement. 8-)

Best regards,

Mel
Good thing is that Taylor did not have two species from each fund company in his ark. Three funds are perfect.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Best regards,

Mel
Good thing is that Taylor did not have two species from each fund company in his ark. Three funds are perfect.

Victoria
Actually, Victoria, there are two species of Taylor's three funds. There's the Investor Class and the Admiral Class. I guess we could say that the Investor Class is the little brother and the Admiral Class is the big brother.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Honu

Post by Honu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:11 am

Thank you Mel and Taylor for continuing to support all of us as we progress into our final career. Retirement.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:29 am

Very cool. I would love to get an autographed copy, but doubt I'll be able to make it down to FL for a Boglehead meetup, if there is one :(

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:38 am

Taylor, it would be great if you add the story of your Grandfather losing his life savings. That story has helped me when I forget my risk tolerance. Maybe it could be in the section about risk? Just a suggestion. Really looking forward to it.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:15 am

Thank you Taylor and Mel, this is wonderful news and I look forward to reading it and gifting it to family and friends :happy
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

Blues

Post by Blues » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:26 am

Congratulations to you both...on the book and all the contributions you have made on behalf of financial literacy and well-being. :sharebeer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

bluerafters

Post by bluerafters » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 am

If you guys are looking for any proof readers I’d be happy to obilige. Looking forward to the book!

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:31 pm
Well done guys, well done. I'm super impressed to see you both working hard when many people are on the golf course or in a lounger chair.
I am on the golf course because I have a Three-Fund portfolio. :D :moneybag

Thanks Taylor and Mel (and Mr. Bogle)
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:23 am

93!! what a guy!

thank you for your continued contributions here Taylor!

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
ndchamp wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:41 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 pm
ndchamp wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm
Sounds like a wonderful addition to the Boglehead's Guide books.
I'll be waiting for the Kindle edition.
Still would love to see a follow-up to the Retirement Planning guide, giving insights to living/spending DURING retirement. And who better than Taylor to write it?
Thanks guys, keep up the good work.
ndchamp:

I appreciate your compliment, but take another look at your "SatuMedia' Guide to Retirement Planning" --especially Part III: "Managing Your Retirement Accounts."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,
True enough, but being retired and in my late 70's I would love to see a great deal more on managing my retirement then just the accounts.
Thanks again.
Nelson
Hi Nelson:

That just may well be our next project if we ever find enough time to tackle it.

Best regards,

Mel
Hi Mel, if Taylor rode Noah's Ark then by comparison you came over on the Mayflower. Reminds me of the old George Burns joke that when he was a boy, the Dead Sea was only sick.

Seriously, work on managing one's retirement would be very welcome. A good start would be a thread on this topic. Some experts would be Taylor, Mel, and Sheepdog. Probably citing Dr. Wade Pfau's work. I am sure Single Premium Immediate Annuities would be part of this discussion too.
A fool and his money are good for business.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Wonderful news! A book on three funds, can't get simpler than that.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:21 pm

sschullo wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:41 pm
I've wondered why people are so ... use your own descriptor ... that a book is needed to explain the concept.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Great news!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:00 am

Congratulations Taylor and Mel— I look forward to adding a copy to my bookshelf!

Where I live in beautiful British Columbia, I hold a Canadian ETF version of Taylor’s Three Fund Portfolio:

VCN-T Vanguard FTSE Canada All Cap Equity ETF

VXC-T Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap ex Canada Index Equity ETF

VAB-T Vanguard Canadian Aggregate Bond Index ETF

Given that many SatuMedia live outside the US (you have an international following Taylor!), perhaps you may want to include a brief chapter on three-fund portfolio options for folks living/investing outside the United States (I’m thinking countries like Canada and Australia where Vanguard has offices and offers local products)? No pressure though! Again, I’m looking forward to reading your book!

Best regards,

BC Doc

maj

Post by maj » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:27 am

Taylor, what degree of approval do you give to the use of one of the 4 LifeStrategy Funds?

Thanks for all you do for us.

peace

SORRY, I just found a 2013 thread which answers my question.
maj

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:28 am

Congrats Taylor and Mel,

I will look forward to reading the book as I have the other 2 boglehead books. I am constantly answering my questions by re-reading chapters in the prior 2 books. I am also hopeful to get the books signed by Taylor. I got Mel to sign one at the conference and enjoyed hearing about his history with the military and the SatuMedia. Mel is a humble guy and easy to talk with.

Getting a bookshelf expander on E-bay today. :)

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 am

MichaelRpdx wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:21 pm
sschullo wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:41 pm
I've wondered why people are so ... use your own descriptor ... that a book is needed to explain the concept.
I hear ya. Not sure what I was saying but here is my off the wall thoughts about simplicity: Most 3rd graders could construct a 3 fund portfolio. But simplicity is not respected in the real world, and then there are the complex and explosive emotions that could ruin a simple (and great) plan in a nanosecond. The quantitative discussions dominate whereas the qualitative aspect has much less status. The industry wants to keep things complicated and difficult, for good reason.
Guess what I am saying is that simplicity needs more than a book, it needs volumes to create a language because it's not so simple. Taylor's book just adds to a much-needed discussion (and language) about the power of simplicity.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:22 am

sschullo wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 am
I hear ya. Not sure what I was saying but here is my off the wall thoughts about simplicity: Most 3rd graders could construct a 3 fund portfolio. But simplicity is not respected in the real world, and then there are the complex and explosive emotions that could ruin a simple (and great) plan in a nanosecond. The quantitative discussions dominate whereas the qualitative aspect has much less status. The industry wants to keep things complicated and difficult, for good reason.
Guess what I am saying is that simplicity needs more than a book, it needs volumes to create a language because it's not so simple. Taylor's book just adds to a much-needed discussion (and language) about the power of simplicity.

If Taylor were to pair up with a psychologist, I am sure they could write a wonderfully informative read on the psychology of investing and the Fear of the Missing Out (FOMO).

How many threads do we have on bitcoin?
How many financial advisers would sell an investing strategy that is "average" ? (everybody thinks/wants to be ABOVE average)
How many marketing and advertising folks are employed to peddle the latest robo-trading, AI-trading, machine learning trading, IBM watson trading, or whatever the newest flavor of the week is?

At the end of the day there is a lot of survivor's bias in the investment world.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:43 am

Helo80 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:22 am
sschullo wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 am

If Taylor were to pair up with a psychologist, I am sure they could write a wonderfully informative read on the psychology of investing and the Fear of the Missing Out (FOMO).

How many threads do we have on bitcoin?
How many financial advisers would sell an investing strategy that is "average" ? (everybody thinks/wants to be ABOVE average)
How many marketing and advertising folks are employed to peddle the latest robo-trading, AI-trading, machine learning trading, IBM watson trading, or whatever the newest flavor of the week is?

At the end of the day there is a lot of survivor's bias in the investment world.
I love the CNBC quants for entertainment purposes only. I think the problem with writing about the psychology of investing is that the discussions rely on studies. Jason Zweig's wrote a great book. I read it twice, being a psychology major in college, but we need reports of real people and how they handled their emotions. Unfortunately, those types of books are not respected because they are either not "tough enough" "too emotional" and too individualistic to one person. People want sophistication and the gem that will make them rich quickly, not whussypants of slowly building wealth over a lifetime, OMG! a lifetime! (whussypants I think was coined by the father of frugal living Mr. M. M).

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:59 pm

vested1 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 am
Great news! With apologies to Roy Scheider, I think I'm going to need a bigger bookshelf.
You're not the only one (I need more bookshelf space, too)!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 pm

I have worked on purging my bookshelf! Donations to our library. Only Vanguard/Bogleheads/Bogle books for the most part. Swensen and two Buffett books round it out.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:31 pm

I've been telling people there's only one finance book 99% of people need to read, which is the SatuMedia guide to investing, but perhaps I've been mistaken and a 2nd is in order.

After reading the first book and watching Rick Van Ness's videos I changed our AA to the 3 fund and love the simplicity.

I can't wait to read the new book. I'll request my library purchases it as soon as the isbn is available.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Cycle wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:31 pm
I've been telling people there's only one finance book 99% of people need to read, which is the SatuMedia guide to investing, but perhaps I've been mistaken and a 2nd is in order.

After reading the first book and watching Rick Van Ness's videos I changed our AA to the 3 fund and love the simplicity.

I can't wait to read the new book. I'll request my library purchases it as soon as it is available.
Cycle:

You already enjoy the simplicity of the "3 fund" portfolio!

When the book is published, send it to a friend.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 pm

SatuMedia:

I wish I had read this post by TD2626 earlier. It would have gone into the book:
It always amazes me how simple portfolios like the Three Fund portfolio allow investors to get market returns (less ~0.04% fees) without doing any work analyzing active funds, managing complex portfolios, keeping up with market conditions, learning about factor tilting, etc..
Best wishes
Taylor

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:11 pm

SatuMedia:

Wiley has posted a brief description of our third SatuMedia' book.

http://wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitl ... 87331.html

Best wishes.
Taylor