Portugal Trip, any suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WhiteMaxima

Portugal Trip, any suggestions?

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Booked flight to Lisbon during Christmas. Also booked a car (VW polo for $5 a day, unlimited milage, can't believe it). Any suggestions? Would also visit coastline town in Algarve region.

Rocco Sampler

Re: Portugal Trip, any suggestions?

Post by Rocco Sampler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:59 pm

If you're able to, try a short trip to San Miguel island in the Azores. Amazingly beautiful.

Higman

Post by Higman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Higman wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm
Definitely Sintra:

http://sintra-portugal.com/guides/S ... isbon.html
+1

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:45 pm

Oporto, do a tour or two of the port distilleries, Sandemans, etc.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 pm

We went about a year/2 ago - spent half the time in lisboa and the rest in Cascais. I highly recommend Cascais.

Geno

Post by Geno » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Out of curiosity, what's a car rental company ?
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.

FraggleRock

yes

Post by FraggleRock » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Having just returned from 3 weeks in Portugal, I would say:
1. No car
2. Lisboa for 7 days (we did 10).
3. Porto for 5. Travel by train.
4. More days? Coimbra for 4.

WhiteMaxima

Re: yes

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 am

FraggleRock wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm
Having just returned from 3 weeks in Portugal, I would say:
1. No car
2. Lisboa for 7 days (we did 10).
3. Porto for 5. Travel by train.
4. More days? Coimbra for 4.
Why no car? I plan to visit coast, is public transportation accessible? I bought 15 days euro rail pass just in case.

lesterburnham

Post by lesterburnham » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 am

I just spent a week in Portugal. Flew into Lisbon, rented a car and spent 2 days in the Algarve (Lagos), 3 days in Lisbon (including a day trip to Sintra), and 1 day in Porto. Portugal is inexpensive and very charming. We relied entirely on locals for food/drink recommendations which turned out to be a great move if you are interested in a less tourist and more local experience. Happy to share lodging/food/tour recommendations, if wanted.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 am

lesterburnham wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 am
I just spent a week in Portugal. Flew into Lisbon, rented a car and spent 2 days in the Algarve (Lagos), 3 days in Lisbon (including a day trip to Sintra), and 1 day in Porto. Portugal is inexpensive and very charming. We relied entirely on locals for food/drink recommendations which turned out to be a great move if you are interested in a less tourist and more local experience. Happy to share lodging/food/tour recommendations, if wanted.
Thanks, I would like to go to Algarve, Lisbon, and Sintra. AirBB or hotel. If Algarve beach is nice and warm, I don't mind just set a base there and stay longer.

FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:50 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 am
I bought 15 days euro rail pass just in case.
What did you pay for the 15-day pass?

DemoEngr

Post by DemoEngr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:58 pm

Definitely travel the Algarve coastline with the car. All the little coastal towns are cool with great places to eat.

Hoosierdom

Post by Hoosierdom » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm

blueblock wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 pm
Higman wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm
Definitely Sintra:

http://sintra-portugal.com/guides/S ... isbon.html
+1
This. The town itself is great, the palace and surrounding grounds are great, as is the Moorish castle. Any one of those things by itself would be worth the trip.

We really liked eating here:
https://tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... tugal.html

Not cheap, but a fraction of what you would pay for a similar meal in the US.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:10 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:50 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 am
What did you pay for the 15-day pass?
About $500 per adult. Two kids free. Last day today for 20% off. additional 15% off if two or more traveling together. Not for money saving reason, just hop on and off easily and get yourself direct into city center. I drive car in euro before. The parking, driving stress.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:20 pm

We were in Portugal for 2 weeks in May. It was our last Western European country to visit and we shouldn’t have waited. It is fabulous. We had a car and, for us, it was a must. 5 nights in Lisbon, 5 nights in Sintra, 2 nights in the Algarve, and 2 nights in Lisbon before flying home. There was so much to see in southern Portugal, we never made it north of Fátima, which we would recommend. Also, Óbidos, a quintessential hilltop village. The westernmost point in Europe is kind of touristy, but the coastline there is beautiful. By the way, in Sintra we stayed at the Ritz on Marriott points. What a property! My wife is platinum for life and they put us in a suite and treated us like royalty. We also stayed at the Autograph hotel in Lisbon, well located and we got a good price and a suite upgrade, plus breakfast. The Marriott in Lisbon is not that well located, but a good spot for the last night before flying home.

The airport was a problem for us leaving. Security was a breeze, but even though we had plenty of time the very, very long line at passport control almost caused us to miss our flight. Be warned.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:36 pm

We actually stayed at the Autograph hotel in Lisbon.

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Another vote for Sintra :). It was the highlight of my visit to Portugal. Can be a day trip from Lisbon, if you wish.
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

FraggleRock

Railpass vs CP prices

Post by FraggleRock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:16 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:10 pm
About $500 per adult. Two kids free.
That seems like a lot.
For example:
1. Lisbon - Porto, AP first class, no discounts is €43 one way. So, party of 4 would be $200 USD, But, significant discounts are available.
2. Lisbon - Sintra, Urbano (the only choice) is €4.40 round trip. Party of 4 would be $20 USD.
3. Lisbon - Faro is €30 one way.

On average you could count on discounts of 30+%.

WhiteMaxima

Re: Railpass vs CP prices

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:16 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
That seems like a lot.
For example:
1. Lisbon - Porto, AP first class, no discounts is €43 one way. So, party of 4 would be $200 USD, But, significant discounts are available.
2. Lisbon - Sintra, Urbano (the only choice) is €4.40 round trip. Party of 4 would be $20 USD.

I rented a VW polo in Lisbon for $5 (unlimited milage, CSR insurance waiver) per day for a week.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:09 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:
That seems like a lot.
For example:

Ouch! Agreed. Sounds costly though OP said he wanted some convenience. Still. I think Eurail passes long ago lost their usefulness for most people.

Strider

Post by Strider » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Spent enjoyable time in Castelo Branco. My wife and I wanted to see the lovely embroidered quilts for which Castelo Branco is famous. The quilts did not disappoint, but they were too bulky for the return trip home (and too expensive for our tastes).

Through serendipity, we made our way to a back-alley embroidery shop where a local seamstress showed us a 12" x 24" floral-themed embroidered panel, which we LOVED (if you do a web search for Castelo Branco colchas, you will see what I mean). We purchased the embroidered panel and had it framed upon returning home. Although inexpensive, it is thoroughly evocative of the native artistry of the Portuguese. It occupies a prominent place hanging on a wall in our home.

Strider

mkatz

Post by mkatz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 am

One truly amazing tour that my wife and I went on when we visited Porto "the worst tours" (theworsttours.weebly.com). Truly interesting, an assessment repeated by a number of our friends who subsequently took the tour.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:09 pm
FraggleRock wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:
That seems like a lot.
For example:

Ouch! Agreed. Sounds costly though OP said he wanted some convenience. Still. I think Eurail passes long ago lost their usefulness for most people.
Never bought any passes, but my understanding is that on the faster trains they are not that convenient anyway, as you still have to make reservations? And if you are not taking the faster trains, it is very unlikely that they will save money. Was not in Spain, but we found it very convenient to walk into the train station, stick PIN credit card in the machine and buy tickets.

I've used Rick Steve's info to do rough comparisons of tickets vs. pass costs:
https://ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... ail-passes
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

flowerpower

Post by flowerpower » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:19 am

Activities
  • Recommend starting the trip by taking Tram 28 around the city. Tickets cost €1.05 if paid by "Viva Viagem" card and €2.85 if purchased on-board or at a vending machine. Takes about 30 minutes from start to end through the "Old Town" of Lisbon (dating from the 17th century) beginning in Graça then down to the Alfama and to the Baixa then up through Chiado to Bairro Alto and then down to Campo Ourique.
  • Praca do Comercio / Terreiro do Paco: Terreiro do Paco (or Palace Square) was the site of the royal palace until an earthquake destroyed it in 1755. After the royal family moved to another residence, the riverfront square continued to serve as a bustling welcome area to all arriving by boats. Today, Praca do Comercio (Commerce Square, as it is now known) still feels like a gateway to the city, and its opulent setting, replete with ornate arcades and statues, is an ideal start for all visiting Lisbon
  • Rossio Plaza - center of the city.
  • Castelo de Sao Jorge - open 9 to 9 daily. 7 euro for a ticket.
  • Listening to fado music in Alfama
Belem area in Lisbon:
  • Take bus 28 to the west (Restelo direction), which follows the coast line and provides an express service with few stops.
  • Mosteiro de Jeronimos.
  • Monument to the Discoveries
  • Tower of Belem (Torre de Belem).
  • Antiga Confeitaria de Belém (amazing egg custard tarts; not to miss)
  • Mosteiro De Sao Vicente De Fora: The Mosteiro de São Vicente de Fora is one of the most majestic churches in Portugal. Its collection of baroque tiles (around 100,000 in total) is the largest on record, and a series of 38 of them, around the cloisters, tell the story of La Fontaine Fables. Many of the Portuguese kings are also buried here.
  • On Tuesday and Saturday mornings, Feira da Ladra, the oldest fair in Lisbon, takes place nearby. It's a bric-a-brac market where you can find literally anything
  • Sintra ****definitely a must visit!!!: Visit the old Moorish castle and Palacio da Pena. It is so incredible. Will take up almost a full day, 9 to 5 or so.
Food
  • Pastel de Belem: Egg custard tarts that are amazing; close to Mosteiro (see above)
  • Cervejaria Ramiro - Great seafood restaurant. Anthony Bourdain went here. Good place to try barnacles

Strider

Post by Strider » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 pm

A follow-up to my previous posting in this thread. My wife and I ventured from the usual places (Lisbon and Oporto) and visited off-the-beaten-path destinations, viz., Alentejo, Braga, Castelo Branco, Coimbra, Valenca-do-Minho, Viana-do-Castelo, Vila Real, Viseu. It was in these places (not so frequented by tourists) that we sampled local Portuguese cuisine and viewed native Portuguese artistry.

A food note: On your trip, be absolutely sure to try Serra da Estrela cheese, a culinary delight.

Strider
Last edited by Strider on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wstalcup

Post by wstalcup » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

another vote for Sintra.. I was just there this year and it was amazing! Also we rented an automatic car from Sixt. It was inexpensive and had tolls included. We can drive stick cars but being on vacation, having driving an automatic car was just one less thing to worry about. basic T-Mobile plan we have here in the States worked for free in Portugal but had to switch the phone to 2G only to work, otherwise no extra cost! free internet through the phone was essential!
Best investment advice: "Invest in your education" -Bill Gates

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Portugal has so much to offer! I have been a few times for business. This time it was all fun. We visited Porto which I can say has joined the list of trendiest European cities. It was very crowded with tourists, but worth seeing, for no more than 3 days. We spent 4 days in the Douro Valley and could have easily spent 4 more. Great scenery, wine, port, food. It is a really unique place where life is slower and something delightful is around every bend of the road.

novillero

Post by novillero » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 am
lesterburnham wrote:
Thanks, I would like to go to Algarve, Lisbon, and Sintra. AirBB or hotel. If Algarve beach is nice and warm, I don't mind just set a base there and stay longer.
My wife is from the Algarve, although it is unseasonably warm there this week. Do not expect to go the beach in December or January. And don’t expect it to be lively. It’s no longer tourist season.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 am

novillero wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
lesterburnham wrote:
My wife is from the Algarve, although it is unseasonably warm there this week. Do not expect to go the beach in December or January. And don’t expect it to be lively. It’s no longer tourist season.
I heard Algarve is a #1 retirement destination. My wife and I are investigating possibility there. Based on live cost index, Algarve is about 70% lower than US. Portugal has a golden visa program that give family resident visa with 0.5mil investment. It is a Shengen visa so don't have 180 limit per year limit in EU nations. I'v never be in that region of Europe and I will use this visit to explore the region.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:58 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 am

I heard Algarve is a #1 retirement destination. My wife and I are investigating possibility there. Based on live cost index, Algarve is about 70% lower than US. Portugal has a golden visa program that give family resident visa with 0.5mil investment. It is a Shengen visa so don't have 180 limit per year limit in EU nations. I'v never be in that region of Europe and I will use this visit to explore the region.
I think you may have your numbers reversed. The cost of living in the Algarve is, on the average, about 70% of the cost of living in my area in the USA. That's 70% of my cost, not 70% lower than my cost. BTW the average income is about a third of what it is in Memphis.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:05 am

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:58 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:

I think you may have your numbers reversed. The cost of living in the Algarve is, on the average, about 70% of the cost of living in my area in the USA. That's 70% of my cost, not 70% lower than my cost. BTW the average income is about a third of what it is in Memphis.
https://numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... y2=Algarve

That's quite of savings. Consider Memphis TN is also a low cost city in the US.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:05 am
neilpilot wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:

Yes, but the link you post confirms my comment, since it shows that you would need 68% of the cost of living in Memphis. Algarve is NOT "about 70% lower".

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:29 am

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:05 am
neilpilot wrote:
WhiteMaxima wrote:

Yes, but the link you post confirms my comment, since it shows that you would need 68% of the cost of living in Memphis. Algarve is NOT "about 70% lower".
I will definitly like to see what the 0.5 mil house look like. If I had 1 mil in retirement account, which means I can cash out 0,5 mil to get a property and live the remaining 0,5 mil with the same standard of living assuming the living cost index is 50% lower.

novillero

Post by novillero » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:56 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
novillero wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
lesterburnham wrote:
What are you looking for in a town? Markets, beach, etc?

Albufeira (touristy filled with drunken Brits in the summer), Loule (inland “city” with a nice market), salema and carvoeiro are one time fishing villages that have retained charm. Lagos is a “city” on the water, nice beaches. West has better, more picturesque beaches IMO. You need to go in the summer to see how packed these places get. August is the worst.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm

i am sure it will be less crowded after briexit. no more free move. will need schengen visa. maybe its good for local.

novillero

Post by novillero » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:24 pm

P.s. a lot of people recommended Sintra, and I do too. Take mass transit to get there. The roads in Sintra are crazier than the drivers.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:26 pm

novillero wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:24 pm
P.s. a lot of people recommended Sintra, and I do too. Take mass transit to get there. The roads in Sintra are crazier than the drivers.
Do you mean by train?

FraggleRock

Sintra

Post by FraggleRock » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Do you mean by train?
Take the Urbano from Estaçao Rossio to Sintra. Round trip is €4.40.
Take the Scottbus circulator to Castelo dos Mouros and the Palacio da Pena. €5.50.
Do not even think of driving.
The roads are narrow. Parking spaces are extremely limited.

If I visit again, I would only do the Castelo. After climbing to the peak of the castle, we were exhausted when we arrived at the very crowded (even in October) palace. The palace is way over priced in my opinion.