Wife New Car Recommendations - SUV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Re: Wife New Car Recommendations - SUV

Post by CULater » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 pm

As for Android Auto/Carplay, this was on my list of must-haves. It makes sense if you have the option of buying the vehicle without paying for the in-dash Navi. You can do that with the CRV. But I got the Touring which has the Garmin Navi standard. Garmin not as good as Google Maps for sure, but I find myself just using the Garmin Navi so I don't have to bother tethering my phone to the auto USB. And the Garmin Navi does have the advantage of showing the speed limit, which Android Auto does not. I still like the option of Android Auto, but I'm not as sure now that not having it would be a deal-breaker if the car Navi is decent and doesn't cost a fortune to add as an option.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Impromptu wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 pm
In 9 out of 10 ways minivans are better than SUVs. The Toyota Sienna is even AWD. But if you really want a lesser quality class of people-mover, then the Mazda or the Honda are decent vehicles.
Not in this case.
The OP doesn't need a 7 seater. I couldn't find the AWD Sienna on Toyota's website and neither the Odyssey nor Sienna (in FWD version) achieves the same MPG as the CX-5 and Tuscon in AWD. Seems a bit of a waste to have something as large as a minivan for 3 people.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Alright, went to some dealerships today to check out some cars.

We saw the following:

Mazda CX-5
Hyundai SantaFe
Ford Escape

At the end of the day, I was extremely impressed with the CX-5. I've always been a Mazda fan, but when I sat in the 2017 Grand Touring CX-5, the redesign of it (exterior and interior) is just so nice. It is $10K over our price range and I HATE buying brand new (depreciation hit) but it may be worth it.

I never test drove it, but the wife did. Again, there wasn't anything she was really looking for other than it was something different than her current car, but I notice.

We will probably wait until the holidays to pull the trigger on one.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm

The 2018 should be landing in dealerships in a few months - hopefully you can get a nice discount on a 2017 model at that time. I just read some car news reports that it starts production in Nov 2017.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 pm

pinhead

Post by pinhead » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:15 pm

You could probably get a 2012 Lexus RX 350 with around 60K to 80K miles. You wont regret this decision. These are baby miles.