Sunscreen: use it all the time? (And what's a good one w/o sting?)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
james865

Re: Sunscreen: use it all the time? (And what's a good one w/o sting?)

Post by james865 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Howie wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 pm
james865 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 am

Furthermore, exposure to UV radiation is cumulative; unfortunately most of our sun damage comes when we're <20 (myself included).
So, if one were >50, how much help would embracing a consistent sunscreen application program actually provide if the majority of the damage is already done and has been "lying in wait" for 30+ years?
Sounds like a fair question. However, our skin loses its ability to repair itself over time. Sunburns early in life contribute to premature aging of the skin; sun exposure later in life, when our skin has lost the ability to repair itself, can form cancers much easier. It takes repeated damage early in life to form skin cancer; it occurs much easier later in life.

Vitamin D - I get almost all of it through my diet. Also note Vitamin D normal levels are controversial. The normal rangers were lowered in the past and people that were previously "normal" are now low.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm

I'd like to find a face sunscreen that doesn't give me pimples.
So far, Neutrogena Dry Touch 100 spf, less pimples but best so far.
Old farts are not supposed to get pimples. :shock:

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:49 pm

james865 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 pm
Howie wrote:
james865 wrote:

Furthermore, exposure to UV radiation is cumulative; unfortunately most of our sun damage comes when we're <20 (myself included).
So, if one were >50, how much help would embracing a consistent sunscreen application program actually provide if the majority of the damage is already done and has been "lying in wait" for 30+ years?
Sounds like a fair question. However, our skin loses its ability to repair itself over time. Sunburns early in life contribute to premature aging of the skin; sun exposure later in life, when our skin has lost the ability to repair itself, can form cancers much easier. It takes repeated damage early in life to form skin cancer; it occurs much easier later in life.

Vitamin D - I get almost all of it through my diet. Also note Vitamin D normal levels are controversial. The normal rangers were lowered in the past and people that were previously "normal" are now low.
I think my whole body is losing the ability to repair itself, not just the skin. :shock:
Is this why older folks get brown spots?
Or skin spots that need to be taken off (frozen)?

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Howie wrote:
james865 wrote:

I'm a physician assistant (PA), worked in dermatology for 16 years (most of those with Mohs surgeons).

A lot of the UV damage from our younger years is precancerous, so preventing further damage, even at age 50+, can help reduce the risk of those damaged cells from being pushed over the "tipping point" into full-blown skin cancer.

The visible signs of a sunburn (redness, peeling skin, etc.) mark the mass suicide of skin cells that have been so heavily damaged (UV radiation being the most common culprit) that their self-destruct mechanisms have been activated to prevent them from progressing to cancerous cells.

It's the cells that are hanging in the balance, so to speak, that need to be protected from that final push over the edge.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

TrendyTightwad

Post by TrendyTightwad » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 am

+1 to all of the good advice already given.

I use Vanicream SPF 50, which has both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, as part of my daily morning face routine. It gives the ghastly white sheen on my face for about 5 minutes, but I can easily put makeup over it once that fades. If I'm sweating or going in water, I'll reapply; otherwise, I just apply once a day in the morning to my face and forearms/hands at a minimum. I used to use Neutrogena, but I also found that the chemical sunscreens seemed to burn my eyes while the Vanicream doesn't.

As for zinc oxide/TiO2 options, I've also used EltaMD, which offers a tinted option that doesn't leave the white sheen, and LaRoche Anthelios Mineral. Both are good options, but the Vanicream was the cheapest option when I was rebuying.

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:22 am

I like Boots number 7, for very dry skin, spf 15 or 30. I get it at some Walgreens.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks again for all the suggestions (many things I never would have been able to find elsewhere).
Personally, I like cloudy weather the best, but I can't afford Seattle...

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:57 am

The majority of sunscreens out there contain chemicals to block the sun. Personally, I never got comfortable with all those chemicals on my skin. Most degrade over time when exposed to UV light (can become unstable), or are not safe for the environment. Sweating also caused them to get in my eyes and burn. Non-Nano Zinc Oxide is probably the safest physical sunblock and blocks the widest range of UVB/UVA (ie Broad Spectrum). See the chart below. It's important to understand that chemical sunscreens "absorb" the UV rays, while physical sunblocks (like Zinc Oxide) "reflect" the UV rays.

I believe Non-nano zinc oxide is the only sunscreen approved for use on babies and is safe on the environment. Many coastal areas will not allow chemical sunscreens, as they have been proven detrimental to coral reefs etc. The biggest problem with Zinc Oxide is that it will leave a white film initially. You have to be patient with it !

I now make my own sunscreen with Sweet Almond Oil, Non-Nano Zinc Oxide and Shea Butter, to yield an SPF of 30. Which I usually give to friends, families etc. Any more than SPF of 30, doesn't really make a lot of sense. Take a look at the charts below. An SPF of 50 only gets you a 1% increase in SPF protection over an SPF of 30. Problem is it's jam packed with chemicals to achieve that 1%. SPF of 100 is even more ridiculous (IMO).

BTW, I'm surprised more sunscreens don't contain Sweet Almond Oil as a base, the test link below show it's very stable in sunlight and has shown to help reduce the photoaging process caused by UV damage. Here's the test report --> https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17348990

I've done an exhaustive study on all this stuff and find it quite interesting.

To answer the OP's question, yes wear sunscreen everyday, preferably with Zinc Oxide... IMO.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

iceport

Post by iceport » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:34 pm

EddyB wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:07 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:37 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:34 pm
RGS92:

The July 2017 issue of Consumer Reports that Coppertone WaterBabies Lotion SPF 50 is among the best which I use. There are many more listed from good to awful. Trader Joe spray also rates high.

Best wishes.
Taylor
+1 on the Coppertone WaterBabies. Cheaper than the Neutrogena dry touch but a bit more icky and sticky. Both great on the golf course.

The Environmental Working Group's annual sunscreen evaluation reports a high health risk for that particular product, but only a moderate concern for Coppertone's "Water Babies Pure & Simple, SPF 50." The EWG's report is a good (if potentially overwhelming) source of information.
Thanks you for the link to the EWG site, EddyB. I am definitely interested in avoiding endocrine disruptors, if possible, especially in a product intended to be used practically daily.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein