What was the main reason you retired?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Sandtrap

Re: What was the main reason you retired?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:14 am

This thread is absolutely fascinating. I'm learning a lot.
I think I'm one of the odd ducks because I have no concept of "retirement" in a generic sense.
I've mostly been doing what I love, making a living at it, and having so much fun I'd do it "fer free" (like Forest Gump mowing lawns).
Why?
I love building things, whether taking apart the toaster when I was age 5 or building a shopping mall. And I love R/E and creating things. Seeing something come up out of the dirt where there was nothing. The excitement of a construction project with everyone coming together. Or, renovating a newly acquired run down apartment building into something folks would want to live in and raise a family.

And, I love work and people, whether sweeping the courtyard of an apartment building and talking with tenants, or picking up trash on a job site or reviewing plans on a day off when the job site is empty and quiet, or picking up lunch for the crews, or giving out bonuses.

And, I love learning, hanging out with old guys, learning how they "did it", "made it".I always hoped it'd never end because it's so much fun. I guess I'm the odd duck. Limping along but still "quacking". :D

I wonder if there are similar "odd ducks" here in "Bogleheadville"?

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:14 am
I love building things, whether taking apart the toaster when I was age 5 or building a shopping mall. And I love R/E and creating things. Seeing something come up out of the dirt where there was nothing. The excitement of a construction project with everyone coming together. Or, renovating a newly acquired run down apartment building into something folks would want to live in and raise a family.

And, I love work and people, whether sweeping the courtyard of an apartment building and talking with tenants, or picking up trash on a job site or reviewing plans on a day off when the job site is empty and quiet, or picking up lunch for the crews, or giving out bonuses.
How do you think the crews like their jobs? Loving every minute working in the heat or the cold, or up on the roof or hauling heavy loads? I'm sure some of them take real satisfaction at being skilled and good at their jobs, and watching a building come up. But do you wonder if their backs ever ache after a long week and they might think about retirement a little differently?

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:45 am

Sandtrap wrote: This thread is absolutely fascinating. I'm learning a lot.
I think I'm one of the odd ducks because I have no concept of "retirement" in a generic sense.
I've mostly been doing what I love, making a living at it, and having so much fun I'd do it "fer free" (like Forest Gump mowing lawns).
Why?

And, I love learning, hanging out with old guys, learning how they "did it", "made it".I always hoped it'd never end because it's so much fun. I guess I'm the odd duck. Limping along but still "quacking". :D
Enjoyed reading your heart-felt emotional post, Sandtrap :happy Thank you. Your job was meaningful because you fully enjoyed seeing the product of your labor, the beauty of the buildings you created and their good use by their inhabitants.

I'm not sure you're "the odd duck" - lol! We have relatives who receive the same pleasure out of building homes - although one told me it was really depressing sitting in one of the model homes he built for his development during the real estate bust, playing solitaire because no buyers came in. My father was a veterinarian and enjoyed his work immensely, bought a side business when he retired and enjoyed that also. My DH retired and was "a man without a country" - went back to work part time and says he's very happy being with his coworkers again and being of value to others (he talks for a living :wink:, harder to do if one's job is physical labor).

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:52 am

HomerJ wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:37 am
Sandtrap wrote:

How do you think the crews like their jobs? Loving every minute working in the heat or the cold, or up on the roof or hauling heavy loads? I'm sure some of them take real satisfaction at being skilled and good at their jobs, and watching a building come up. But do you wonder if their backs ever ache after a long week and they might think about retirement a little differently?
Never needed to wonder, because I did all of it from the dirt. I started in the carpenter apprentice program all the way to journeyman. The crews work well when the boss works, too. In the snow and heat, and roof, and hauling heavy loads before DOSH and OSHA became a thing. It's a blue collar pride that comes with most professionals. Many come and go. Many stay, feed their families, proud of their craft. Some keep moving up like myself. Foreman. Supervisor. Project Mgr. Job sup. etc. Or go out on their own. Like most things, it's what folks make of it. And, yes, my spine is toast. I eventually had my own company and built what I owned, and rented what I built and kept buying more R/E and repeated that. And, got a degree in economics on the side. I'm old school and a strong believer in earning respect and walking the talk so to speak. It pays off. People are loyal. So that was a little different in the long run than many carpenters but the opportunities are there for everyone. I got lucky. :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:53 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 am
euroswiss wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 am
TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:08 pm
What was the main reason you retired? Here are some examples of reasons I assume one would retire:
1) Hit your number
2) The amount of your contributions no longer made a meaningful difference in the size of your portfolio
3) Lost the motivation to pursue money
4) Had enough of your work environment
5) Wanted to pursue a hobby
6) Forced into retirement
7) Needed a lifestyle change, ready to do something else
8) Job no longer fun or interesting
9) Felt there were things you wanted to do before you got too old

1. Time >>>> money

2. I could
I did some quick math and best I can tell the days I work are 24 hours long as are my weekend days and my research shows the days during my retirement will be 24 hours long so unless I have something better to do with my time (#4, #5, #7, #8 or #9) I would think time that pays me money is greater than time not pursuing anything for free. Personally I don't buy into either Time for Time's sake or Money for Money's sake, neither is of much real use unless you have something of worth to apply them to.
In all the years, in all the "one more year" or retirement posts I have seen you write, this is by far the best comment you have written. Time is useless if it is spent without joy just as money is useless if it doesn't purchase something worthwhile. The two are forever intertwined because for most, they need time to make money, and money can purchase them more free time. What else I find interesting is that at some point, more money will not purchase and increase one's joy. For example, a $4500 TV will purchase no extra happiness compared to a $2500 TV of similar size. Staying in the penthouse suite on the next vacation compared to a regular suite although may be a bit more comfortable adds minimal extra value or happiness. At some point I believe we fool ourselves thinking we need more and more money for some extravagance that just like the overpriced TV will accomplish providing little to no extra joy in one's life. Working for the sake of more money is just as sad as sitting home doing nothing for the sake of sitting home.

Ask me how I know these things? I have 2 TVs bought at the same time for 2 different rooms in the house. Both were 65 inches, but, one was top of the line at the time for $4500 and the other was a lower end model bought for $2500. Because they are in different rooms and not side by side I can not tell the difference in picture quality going from one TV to the next. We have stayed in fancy suites and regular king sized beds and the vacation is no less entertaining when resting in just a king sized bed.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:45 am
Sandtrap wrote: This thread is absolutely fascinating. I'm learning a lot.
Why?

Enjoyed reading your heart-felt emotional post, Sandtrap :happy Thank you. Your job was meaningful because you fully enjoyed seeing the product of your labor, the beauty of the buildings you created and their good use by their inhabitants.

I'm not sure you're "the odd duck" - lol! We have relatives who receive the same pleasure out of building homes - although one told me it was really depressing sitting in one of the model homes he built for his development during the real estate bust, playing solitaire because no buyers came in. My father was a veterinarian and enjoyed his work immensely, bought a side business when he retired and enjoyed that also. My DH retired and was "a man without a country" - went back to work part time and says he's very happy being with his coworkers again and being of value to others (he talks for a living :wink:, harder to do if one's job is physical labor).
Thanks "mirium", always appreciate your comments.
I ended up with my own construction and R/E development company, and rental buildings, so I got lucky. It doesn't always work out like that. Reading everyone's responses made me think about how folks have certain career paths but not much exposure to the paths of others outside their field. This forum brings folks together.
Thanks again.
mahalo

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 am

#4 primarily. Liked what I did for a living, hated the work environment of the last job with a violent passion. If I was younger, I would have just found another job. Since I had hit my number, I just gave 2 weeks notice and left. Not sure if I'm retired yet, or just on a sabbatical. I'm pursuing personal projects and have no intention of going back to the corporate environment, but if there's some money to be made from one of the personal projects, I wouldn't turn that down.

A contributing factor was 2 of the people I most respected in my career both had major strokes at about the same age that I was when I left.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Why?

This is a great post.

I genuinely wish I felt this way about work.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:16 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
This is sort of it except it was a relative thing. One major project had kept me around years longer than DW and I had planned just because it was so fun and interesting. When it eventually did get to a successful but routine stage, I knew it was time.
JW
Retired at Last

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 am
#4 primarily. Liked what I did for a living, hated the work environment of the last job with a violent passion. If I was younger, I would have just found another job. Since I had hit my number, I just gave 2 weeks notice and left. Not sure if I'm retired yet, or just on a sabbatical. I'm pursuing personal projects and have no intention of going back to the corporate environment, but if there's some money to be made from one of the personal projects, I wouldn't turn that down.

A contributing factor was 2 of the people I most respected in my career both had major strokes at about the same age that I was when I left.
Pretty much described me. I enjoyed what I do/did for a living. I am quite good at it and still have "much to give".
I am dealing with a dysfunctional co-worker right now at my contract job.
I gave my 2-weeks notice yesterday.
Turns out the previous person who was in the same job had exactly the same problem with this dysfunctional co-worker.
This co-worker is "permanent" employee with a PhD handpicked by the manager.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:59 am

Because I wanted to. Retirement was always my career objective.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

alamander

Post by alamander » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 pm
sambb wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:54 pm
amazing how many people dont like their job, i like mine. was in a situation i didnt like - changed it
good poll to see why people retire though
Do people that are employees have a greater tendency to not like their "job" than self-employed folks? Maybe another thread.
Yes. Interesting poll to share.
I think you will find a correlation between the amount of control people perceive themselves to have at their work and their job satisfaction.
This is supported by research. Autonomy, task variety, and participating in the entire process of a task are keys to satisfaction.

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:38 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
I am not sure your list includes one of the most common reasons that one side of a couple retires. I retired 18 months ago to assist my wife in her battle/treatment for ovarian cancer. I had been working for about 1 year of her battle, but I was sure she could use more of my time to support her through this tough time. You begin to accept that we are all mortal, and time is not free. She has had one recurrence since the original chemo treatment and has just finish the chemo for the recurrence. She is tough as nails and once again in remission. We have travels for the winter planned and will be living life day by day.

While I worried about the financial side of retirement, it is not as important as our health. Don't forget to take care of yourself and enjoy the time you have.

She also traveled with me to the SatuMedia 2017 and enjoyed everyone's company during dinner.

Best to all,

Dan
I applaud your decision. Congrats on your wife's remission and wishes for continued good health for her.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:18 pm

SimplicityNow wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:38 pm
dwickenh wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
I am not sure your list includes one of the most common reasons that one side of a couple retires. I retired 18 months ago to assist my wife in her battle/treatment for ovarian cancer. I had been working for about 1 year of her battle, but I was sure she could use more of my time to support her through this tough time. You begin to accept that we are all mortal, and time is not free. She has had one recurrence since the original chemo treatment and has just finish the chemo for the recurrence. She is tough as nails and once again in remission. We have travels for the winter planned and will be living life day by day.

While I worried about the financial side of retirement, it is not as important as our health. Don't forget to take care of yourself and enjoy the time you have.

She also traveled with me to the SatuMedia 2017 and enjoyed everyone's company during dinner.

Best to all,

Dan
I applaud your decision. Congrats on your wife's remission and wishes for continued good health for her.
Congratulations dwickenh...........best wishes to you and your wife for many more years of extended good health.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Really enjoyed my job at megacorp. At age 64, they did a RIF and I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. FI, so no regrets. Did a little consulting for a couple of years, but was ready to call it a "day."

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:53 am
TheTimeLord wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 am
euroswiss wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 am
TheTimeLord wrote:
What was the main reason you retired? Here are some examples of reasons I assume one would retire:
1) Hit your number
2) The amount of your contributions no longer made a meaningful difference in the size of your portfolio
3) Lost the motivation to pursue money
5) Wanted to pursue a hobby
7) Needed a lifestyle change, ready to do something else

1. Time >>>> money

2. I could
I did some quick math and best I can tell the days I work are 24 hours long as are my weekend days and my research shows the days during my retirement will be 24 hours long so unless I have something better to do with my time (#4, #5, #7, #8 or #9) I would think time that pays me money is greater than time not pursuing anything for free. Personally I don't buy into either Time for Time's sake or Money for Money's sake, neither is of much real use unless you have something of worth to apply them to.
In all the years, in all the "one more year" or retirement posts I have seen you write, this is by far the best comment you have written. Time is useless if it is spent without joy just as money is useless if it doesn't purchase something worthwhile. The two are forever intertwined because for most, they need time to make money, and money can purchase them more free time. What else I find interesting is that at some point, more money will not purchase and increase one's joy. For example, a $4500 TV will purchase no extra happiness compared to a $2500 TV of similar size. Staying in the penthouse suite on the next vacation compared to a regular suite although may be a bit more comfortable adds minimal extra value or happiness. At some point I believe we fool ourselves thinking we need more and more money for some extravagance that just like the overpriced TV will accomplish providing little to no extra joy in one's life. Working for the sake of more money is just as sad as sitting home doing nothing for the sake of sitting home.

Ask me how I know these things? I have 2 TVs bought at the same time for 2 different rooms in the house. Both were 65 inches, but, one was top of the line at the time for $4500 and the other was a lower end model bought for $2500. Because they are in different rooms and not side by side I can not tell the difference in picture quality going from one TV to the next. We have stayed in fancy suites and regular king sized beds and the vacation is no less entertaining when resting in just a king sized bed.
While many, many here have or will have far more money than I will ever have I am rapidly approaching this point in my life. I have a pretty good idea of that amount. It will be an interesting experience once I reach that number. In recent months I have had a noticeable ebbing in my desire to spend money or buy new stuff. For the most part I am just very content with life right now and appreciative that paying the bills, go out to dinner or ordering something from Amazon can be done without concern or worry.
Run, You Clever Boy!

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:49 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:59 am
Because I wanted to. Retirement was always my career objective.
Yes! This exactly. The career that chose me at a young age was great. It was also dangerous, difficult, and done in all kinds of weather. So even thought I don't have a portfolio as large as some, I am happy to be retired for the last few months. As planned.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Why?

This is a great post.

Sandtrap, I came from a family of builders(3 generations) and most of them felt exactly like you describe. Great post!!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Why?

This is a great post.

Sandtrap, I came from a family of builders(3 generations) and most of them felt exactly like you describe. Great post!!

Dan
Thanks, "Dan". I had more fun as a general contractor than I did later as a R/E developer and landlord, though that was sort of fun, too. There's just something about creating something from nothing, and putting on the "bags" and working with the crews. Salt of the earth thing I guess.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 pm

The "main" reason why I retired was actually the sum of several factors, which were like weights in a balance scale that eventually tipped from the "stay" side to the "retire" side over a number of years. Finances didn't play much of a part; we had enough, and while we could always spend more money, I don't see any reason why spending more would bring us more satisfaction.

My work was interesting, well paid, and with a generally good team of people. If our finances had caused me to need to work for another 10 years, it would not have been a huge burden. Nonetheless, the following factors eventually slid the balance over to "retire":

1) Commute. This had been steadily deteriorating over about 8 years (silicon valley), and my flexible hours and working some days from home could not avoid the pain. Everything I could see about building and infrastructure directions indicated that it would only get worse.

2) Coworker location. While the people were great, the majority of the people I worked closest with were on the opposite side of the world. Trying to solve difficult technical problems on barely audible conference calls several nights a week was very frustrating. While I had a good rapport with our senior management, this was not something they were prepared to change (at least not until my leaving sent some shockwaves).

3) Work details. My work had been drifting from deep technical problem solving towards more time spend on project management. It was what was needed, so I did it, but it was definitely less satisfying to me. This is something I could have forced to change, but in view of 1 and 2, I let it go.

As an indication of how delicate the balance between "stay" and "retire", less than a month before I finished, we hired a new engineer locally to fill a long-standing req who I found it a real pleasure to work with. If this hire had happened a month earlier, before I had set multiple wheels in motion towards retirement, I might well have stayed on and worked at least a couple more years. But the tipping point went past, I'm enjoying retirement, and I see no need to try to turn back the clock.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:57 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 pm
dwickenh wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Why?

This is a great post.

Dan
Thanks, "Dan". I had more fun as a general contractor than I did later as a R/E developer and landlord, though that was sort of fun, too. There's just something about creating something from nothing, and putting on the "bags" and working with the crews. Salt of the earth thing I guess.
Your posts are very good and an excellent point of view, but I have to say it again... It's a very different thing to occasionally put on the "bags" and work with the crews, and quite another to be the crew doing that work day in and day out.

You moved up. Only a small percentage do... The rest are pretty damn happy to retire when they can afford it. No matter how much they may love aspects of their work, it's exhausting.

A friend of mine got a stand-up desk at work. His father, who worked outside in construction his whole life was incredulous. "You mean you spent $500 for a special desk because you got tired of sitting down in a comfy office all day?!?"

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:57 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 pm
dwickenh wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Why?

This is a great post.

Dan
Your posts are very good and an excellent point of view, but I have to say it again... It's a very different thing to occasionally put on the "bags" and work with the crews, and quite another to be the crew doing that work day in and day out.

You moved up. Only a small percentage do... The rest are pretty damn happy to retire when they can afford it. No matter how much they may love aspects of their work, it's exhausting.

A friend of mine got a stand-up desk at work. His father, who worked outside in construction his whole life was incredulous. "You mean you spent $500 for a special desk because you got tired of sitting down in a comfy office all day?!?"
You're right, "Homer". I was the crew for 20+ years, day in and day out. There are working contractors and "pencil" contractors and I was the working one. Crew of One at lst. I have layers of screws and plates in my spine to show for it. No fun at all. If I did not transition to R/E development and apartment buildings, I would've been on disability and early retirement.
But, like you said which is so true, I'm the small percentage that got lucky. Few are able to make the transition from tradesman to businessman. Even less earn a business degree while working. Very very few.
But one has to reinvent oneself with age and health as we all do to survive and retire to "Bogleheadville". . . where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average. . . . :D

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:06 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm
I'm the small percentage that got lucky.
Best part about you is your modesty and self-awareness! :beer

It was hard work and going the extra mile that got you where you are today... But, yes luck too... It's wonderful that you see that too.

All of us here should recognize there is a degree of luck in our lives. And we should be thankful.

Cheers to you Sandtrap!

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:49 am

Oh gosh, reasons for retirement are as numerous as the atoms in the universe, because it is so individual.
Still, it's an old and jaded question BUT still interesting because as time in retirement goes on and on (9+ years now) my perception of my life and how my retirement planning during my working career extends into retirement.

My activities from my working years and into retirement changed big time, but my head and values did not!

Soooo, my lifelong passions came from activities I never got compensated, in fact, I paid for some of that experience. Retirement meant I could pursue those activities full time. Duh!

Never looked back. I am very fortunate (and lucky) that I am content and happy with what I am doing after nine years of retirement because I have the financial resources to support the pursuit of my values. My passions have always been towards the esoteric.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

burt

Post by burt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 am

Mostly:

Worked 40+ years mostly to provide food, clothing, and shelter for my family.
After 30 years it felt like I had stainless steel (not gold) handcuffs, so I stuck it out.
Any extra funds were saved and invested so I could leave at the top of my game... on my terms.

burt

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:30 am

#1, #4, and #8.

When I got the heads up from my manager at Megacorp that I was the "lucky" one who was going to get the dreaded black spot on my record for not running up enough hours on my tech support cases, I responded by giving notice.

He was a good guy trapped in a bad situation, so I was nice about it. In fact, I think he was very relieved because he didn't have to meet his quota of black spots due to my resignation.

If I hadn't hit my number, I would probably have stuck it out until they laid me off so I could get unemployment benefits. It was very nice not to have to do that.

On the other hand, I have unexpectedly had two jobs since then. The first one was fun for about a year, then they ran out of appropriate work for me to do. When they called me in to talk to me about my failings, I said "How about if I do some consulting for you?" and they said "sure".

Interesting side note on that position: it's the only place where I was ever marked down for having too high a quality of work. :confused
Later I found out that was because they made a lot of money on rework, which is disgusting. :x

The other position since Megacorp was also fun at the beginning, then they assigned me to a project where there was exactly one person who could answer questions on the (totally undocumented) project. Unfortunately, he was unavailable because he was buried in the previous disastrous project. :annoyed

Also, to add to the previous comments about not wanting to lie around all day doing nothing, I am at least as busy as I was while working. I have three major projects I'm doing and don't expect to run out of things to do anytime soon.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm

I have a 1/2 dozen hobbies I pursue, all of which I could get paid to do, but then it would be work. If I turned a hobby into a business or job then I would have to put up with:

Admin BS, including taxes, govt. regs, producing a product on a schedule, being somewhere at sometime, legal liability, billing/collections, etc
Social BS, including co-workers, bosses, employees, office politics, contracting politics, inter agency/business politics, etc.

All of which would conspire to take the fun out of what I do for free. My FIL was a career IRS CPA and in retirement represented people against the IRS for free. I know many attorneys who continue to do pro bono work in retirement. Often what sucks about a job isn't the intrinsic work itself but all the peripheral junk. Retirement allows you to do the fun stuff and eliminate the tedious unfun stuff, but you also lose the cash flow of work. If you have enough money, why not remove the unenjoyable things?

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 pm

GCD wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm
Often what sucks about a job isn't the intrinsic work itself but all the peripheral junk.
This. It's the meetings and the schedule. And like we always say in IT, if we could just get rid of the users, everything would be great.

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 pm

#6 Forced Into Retirement ...medical condition caused loss of qualification and retirement 3 years earlier than planned in the second 20 year career. Medical condition not life threatening however life's priorities have been re-ordered with a good financial foundation to enjoy those priorities--Christianity/service, family/grandkids, travel with DW. Part time work to keep the noodle working may be in the future but not counting on it for financial planning.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:57 pm

1, 9 + negative changes to job environment made it likely I wasn't going to enjoy further employment.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 pm

mlebuf wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:28 am
Because I could. What's to not like about having control over 100 percent of your time? Works for me. :sharebeer
I haven't read the entire thread, but mlebuf's post captured my thoughts very well! :sharebeer

That said, if a picture is worth a thousand words, catdude's avatar pretty much captures how I've felt about retirement since I quit... :beer
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 pm
GCD wrote:
Often what sucks about a job isn't the intrinsic work itself but all the peripheral junk.
This. It's the meetings and the schedule. And like we always say in IT, if we could just get rid of the users, everything would be great.
I thought y'all said "it's not a glitch, it's a feature."
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 pm
GCD wrote:
I thought y'all said "it's not a glitch, it's a feature."
We say that too.

We have a lot of sayings. :sharebeer

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 am

Flobes wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:04 pm
It was 2008, and job evaporated ...

10. And I got surprise inheritance.
6 also. Try finding a job as a woman in software engineering in your 50s.

No surprise inheritance :-)

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 am

RadAudit wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:28 pm
staythecourse wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:31 am
Nothing is worse then not being happy in a job that takes up 8-10 hours of your day for 5 days per week for 30+ years just to make money.
I concur. It's absolutely amazing to me the rationalizations one is capable of if he is raised in a environment where the highest goals are to put food on the table, clothes on your back and a roof over your head. And, then when a family comes along .... Nowhere in that mind set is anything about self actualization and personal happiness.
I suspect for most of the worlds population, there simple isn’t a choice. For most it’s work or starve.

Personally it makes me take a breath and realize how lucky I am and how important some of my choices are to my life.

:?

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 am

mouses wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 am
Flobes wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:04 pm
It was 2008, and job evaporated ...

10. And I got surprise inheritance.
6 also. Try finding a job as a woman in software engineering in your 50s.

No surprise inheritance :-)
I'm also a software engineer. When I got laid off in 2001 at the age of 52, I thought I might never work again because of my age and because it was a very bad time in that field. That was a scary thought because I wasn't anywhere near my number.

So I wrote a program to email my resume in response to every ad that mentioned C++ on Dice, Monster, and a couple of other boards.

After sending out about 10,000 copies of my resume, I got a job in late 2002, in Florida.

We had two weeks to pack up and move from Texas to Florida.

As it turned out, I've worked about 12 years of the 16 since then.

So you never know.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 pm
That said, if a picture is worth a thousand words, catdude's avatar pretty much captures how I've felt about retirement since I quit... :beer
Thanks for the kind words about my avatar! Here's another look at it, for those who are interested.

Upthread someone mentioned that the reason for his retirement was to eliminate stress from his life. I think that post really nailed it. The best thing about retirement is that I've left job-related stress behind. In fact, my life is pretty much stress-free. I have no financial worries, so I don't stress about money. I'm in a pretty good place...
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:44 pm

He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:08 pm

catdude wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 pm
Thanks for the kind words about my avatar! Here's another look at it, for those who are interested.

Upthread someone mentioned that the reason for his retirement was to eliminate stress from his life. I think that post really nailed it. The best thing about retirement is that I've left job-related stress behind. In fact, my life is pretty much stress-free. I have no financial worries, so I don't stress about money. I'm in a pretty good place...
+1
I got so used to the stress that I didn't know I had it. . . until it was gone :D
Love that cat. No job related stress on that kitty.
How about posting it in the "avatar" thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=231041&p=3598317#p3598317
j :D

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:45 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
1) Hit your number

I liked my job and would have been happy to continue working there, but my long term plan was to retire at my
FRA...full retirement age. I probably could have worked part time there. I had enough retirement income to survive so I retired a month or so after my FRA. Therefore reason 1 would be the main reason; 9 would be the next reason. I retired just in time; family needs have taken up much of my time.

When you're retired, you don't have to call in sick, you don't get behind at work, you don't have to juggle vacation days, you work out your own schedule. I do miss the people that I worked with, the problem solving, the challenges, and the teamwork. The reason that I worked was because I needed the money to survive.
Last edited by hudson on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

travellight

Post by travellight » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:47 pm

also #10, pension is irresistible. I would get 50% of my income as pension right away so I could work part time at 50% after retirement and end up making my full income. Same income, half the work.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:55 pm

TheTimeLord wrote: What was the main reason you retired? Here are some examples of reasons I assume one would retire:

Job had mandatory retirement age - and I aged out :shock:

Brian 2016

Post by Brian 2016 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm

I had hit my "number" and was offered an early retirement package that was too good to pass up, so I left in May 2016. After a year off which I really enjoyed, I decided to go back to work part time (20 hours/week) to help cover medical insurance premiums (too young for Medicare). The 20 hours per week is a nice pace with plenty of time for other activities. Life is good, and I'm content. :)

Brian
Early Retirement May 2016

blevine

Post by blevine » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:54 am

Not retired yet...but thinking about when and under what circumstances I'll do it.

Relocation or layoff

Still paying college tuition now. Would probably look for work if above occurs, but once kids
are working and gainfully employed with their own medical benefits, the motivation to work for the money is reduced.
As long as I am doing working in a good environment, with some personal freedoms to live where I want, have some time off,
and good medical insurance, then I would continue after kids are self sufficient. I doubt that will last long, ageism is alive and well,
and older high paid workers are regularly let go in my industry.

reisner

Post by reisner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:18 am

Full professor at San Diego State, a job many would die for. But after 35 years I was tired of hearing the sound of my own voice. Teaching in the College of Arts and letters was mostly assembly-line work, GE courses for uninterested majors from other colleges. I always disliked San Diego, but no jobs opened up for me elsewhere. My pension had come close to my take-home, and so I was working for an additional 2% a year. Real estate was peaking and it was a good time (2005) to get out before the bubble burst, which it did. San Diego's traffic was getting worse and worse and it was taking me longer and longer to get to work. Redevelopment in my cozy neighborhood and on my narrow street was making home life more annoying. Retirement was a great move, especially since I invested profits from the sale of the SD house according to SatuMedia' advice, and bought a cheaper house elsewhere. I did make a few investing mistakes to begin with, Fidelity Canada and Latin America, but at a time when those funds were booming, and those mistakes actually carried me until SS kicked in at age 66.
Last edited by reisner on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:55 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: What was the main reason you retired? Here are some examples of reasons I assume one would retire:

Job had mandatory retirement age - and I aged out :shock:
+1
I'm aging. . . and I'm out. . . . :shock:

victorb

Post by victorb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 pm

I turned 62, which was my goal set years ago.

My wife was already retired and was encouraging me to retire.

Company was changing and my job wasn't as fulfilling, as in the past.

Financially in a good spot to make it happen.

Knew there would not be a lack of things to do and keep my occupied.

Best decision I ever made - Happy that it is all working out.

15 months ago, since retiring.

hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:05 pm

delete
Last edited by hushpuppy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two dogs are better than one. One dog needs to have at least one companion that can consistently measure up to standards. Humans need not apply.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Health issues - could not stay out of the hospital, after 54 years of not visiting a hospital except to see others. As a matter of record, I am willing to recommend minimizing your time in a hospital. That is if you have any reasonable choice. There tends to be a loss of self esteem, among other unmentionable happenings. :shock:

Regards,

hushpuppy
The loss of self esteem part reminds me of a story involving a crotchety old man patient, a tougher-than-nails old nurse, and a long-stem tulip. It was time to take this disagreeable patient's temperature, you see, and....

I think I'd better stop there.
Semper Augustus

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Health issues - could not stay out of the hospital, after 54 years of not visiting a hospital except to see others. As a matter of record, I am willing to recommend minimizing your time in a hospital. That is if you have any reasonable choice. There tends to be a loss of self esteem, among other unmentionable happenings. :shock:

Regards,

hushpuppy
I can identify with this.
Hope you are doing better with every year post retirement.
Baby steps.
mahalo,
j :D