"Best" Online Degree if already a college graduate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bacchus01

Re: "Best" Online Degree if already a college graduate

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 am

As has already been said, a Univ of Phoenix degree, and others like it, is a negative and resumes go right in the trash for me. For an online or partial online from a state or established school, I could care less if it was online or not. But, there are some schools I know are almost entirely online (like Keller) and they go in the trash.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 am

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:17 am
From what I can tell the tide has changed. Employers are starting to actively seek out those who earned degrees from virtual colleges. Why, because they know they tend to be disciplined, are able to be trained inexpensively via electronic education, know how modern collaboration tools work, are comfortable with technology and for the most part have bee insulated from the workplace afflictions that seems so pronounced on those emerging from a conventional university. IBM for example is now actively recruiting people from what they call non-traditional backgrounds, i.e. have not attended instructor lead universities.
When my wife decided to go back to school, her boss pushed her towards Western Governors University. Come to find out, the majority of people in her company with degrees did so through WGU. FWIW, she is in tech (data security) and she ultimately decided to not go the online route, but attend a local university. She may consider WGU for a graduate degree.

skeptical1

Post by skeptical1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:17 pm

I'll offer an opinion based on my experience as as ex-HR Guy and, I'm embarrassed to admit, an ex-instructor at Phoenix.

I doubt an additional degree would be worthwhile unless you envision a major career change. Most degrees have a "shelf life" of just a few years. At that point work experience is far more important than academic credentials. Exceptions for name brand schools (MIT, Stanford, Harvard, etc).

Virtual programs can be attractive for working professionals. As others have stated here, many are simply diploma mills. If you proceed, I would recommend you go with a name brand school. Many also offer hybrid programs where there is a split between classes attendance and online.

I would avoid Phoenix and it's ilk at all costs. Those are profit driven, unethical, diploma mills. They don't attract the most capable students. I caught a student dead to rights copying an internet assignment. Phoenix decided to take no action. I'm ashamed I was ever associated with it.

Prudence

Re:

Post by Prudence » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:27 pm

SpecialK22 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:23 am
With so many schools offering online degrees nowadays, you have a wide range of options to choose from. If reputation matters, there are several well-regarded state and private universities which also offer online degrees. USC, Stanford, UNC, Penn St, Northwestern and many, many others offer some of their Master's degrees in an online format.

The University of Phoenix, being the largest university in the US, has come under fire mostly due to its aggressive enrollment practices. While some of these cases were loathsome, as far as I know the University of Phoenix's academic programs have still maintained a level of quality sufficient to keep legitimate accreditations. Their classes do, however, rely on a different learning style--a style heavily focused around team learning/group projects--than most traditional universities. Lastly, the University of Phoenix is a fairly expensive school given its average at best reputation, and there are many other substantially cheaper alternatives nowadays.

Which degree is most useful depends on your career field and interests. I'm not familiar enough with your industry in order to comment.
+1. University of Maryland University College is another good one. Technology or business probably is the best value. Good luck!

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 am
As has already been said, a Univ of Phoenix degree, and others like it, is a negative and resumes go right in the trash for me. For an online or partial online from a state or established school, I could care less if it was online or not. But, there are some schools I know are almost entirely online (like Keller) and they go in the trash.
You are seriously missing out then and a snob. Just because someone did UOP at some point in their life - that doesn't represent absolutely who they are. I would expect you would look at other qualifications and accomplishments.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:41 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
You are seriously missing out then and a snob. Just because someone did UOP at some point in their life - that doesn't represent absolutely who they are. I would expect you would look at other qualifications and accomplishments.
Certainly true, but you may have to have filters because you otherwise couldn't get through all of the resumes. I'm a director-level employee in a megacorp, I often get several hundred applicants for positions. Same deal, if it is a position requiring a degree, anything from a for-profit gets filtered out. I know several people with degrees from Phoenix and the like who do not even list it on their resume.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:45 pm

I think there are still MBAs available you can study and work for on weekends and evenings. When I got my MBA in 1975 there was no internet, so I did that with 52 semester credit hours on those weekends and evenings within 5 years. I am an engineer with an MSME, but felt the need to know more how a business is run. I became a lead type of manager in engineering 12 years later.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:09 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
That’s your opinion. And it doesn’t make me a snob.

Anyone that went to a for profit degree mill, like UOP, tells me they went for the piece of paper and wasn’t serious about the actual education. It’s not a neutral, it’s a negative and I’d never consider hiring someone who has a UOP degree.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:16 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
I've never seen a resume with U.Phoenix (or similar) that was actually coupled with impressive qualifications or accomplishments. I'm sure there are exceptions floating out there, but I can understand why someone would use it as a first-pass cull.

tmz1m

Post by tmz1m » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:23 pm

My wife did undergrad at big state school, and then in order to get her education administration credential needed to complete a Master's. The only feasible choice was U of P given the schedule and where she lived at the time. I don't know much about the education or whether it was worthwhile, but at least in education, it doesn't seem like a terrible credential. She said the courses were largely taught by principals and district-level administrators from the nearby school systems, which made networking much easier. Definitely not a one-size-fits-all answer that U of P is total junk. But I agree that it is mostly junk for business related stuff.

sco

Post by sco » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Anyone that went to a for profit degree mill, like UOP, tells me they went for the piece of paper and wasn’t serious about the actual education. It’s not a neutral, it’s a negative and I’d never consider hiring someone who has a UOP degree.
I get you have to filter on stuff, as there are so many applicants. But I don't see a compelling argument. Do you think all 18 year olds are attending the local State University because they are serious about their education? Obviously if you interview a few and see a trend, go for it. No doubt filters have to be used to narrow them down, fair or not..

Other Filters I have used for instance,

Juvenile Email addresses on a Resume
Local Tech School known to hand out "Certificates" at University prices (be a programmer in 2 months for only 50k)
Gaps in employement
Hoping around jobs quickly
Using nothing but buzzwords, with no actual content in the resume
Inability to run spell check
Incomplete applications
Complaining about your old job/boss

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
rebellovw wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
That’s your opinion. And it doesn’t make me a snob.

I stand by it.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm

A couple of years ago, I took an online course and a hybrid online/classroom course from a regular college that is part of a major university and I wouldn't waste my time pursuing a degree from an online school regardless of how the degree is perceived by others.

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:58 pm

How about Georgia Tech OMSCS?

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:20 pm

This topic has been moved to the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

In my 30 year megacorp career, the best place to get a degree is where the hiring manager (or CFO, or HR Head) went to school! One of my CFO's got his degree at Princeton. If you didn't go there, or at least to an Ivy, you were way down the chain. Next CFO (same Fortune 50 company) went to Wichita State. Yup, over the next few years, we were overrun by Wichita State grads. It was almost comical watching who got promoted over the years. If you went to the "right" school, you were good. At least for awhile. Once the new University of Texas SrVP showed up, well, let's just say there wasn't a lot of recruiting anywhere else. Glad I got out of the corporate rat race finally.

I'm pretty sure we didn't have any University of Phoenix CFO's, though.

sco

Post by sco » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:37 pm

PatrickA5 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm
In my 30 year megacorp career, the best place to get a degree is where the hiring manager (or CFO, or HR Head) went to school! One of my CFO's got his degree at Princeton. If you didn't go there, or at least to an Ivy, you were way down the chain. Next CFO (same Fortune 50 company) went to Wichita State. Yup, over the next few years, we were overrun by Wichita State grads. It was almost comical watching who got promoted over the years. If you went to the "right" school, you were good. At least for awhile. Once the new University of Texas SrVP showed up, well, let's just say there wasn't a lot of recruiting anywhere else. Glad I got out of the corporate rat race finally.

I'm pretty sure we didn't have any University of Phoenix CFO's, though.
That's funny and very true...

The only thing that really matters is what the hiring manager values, good luck guessing what that will be...

But I stand by not hiring people with emails like [email protected] (example only, my apologies to the real pimp daddy)

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:50 pm

sco wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:37 pm
But I stand by not hiring people with emails like [email protected]
My friend, Peter Impdaddy, has the hardest time finding a job for this very reason. :(
Stay on target...

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:39 pm

sco wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:

I get you have to filter on stuff, as there are so many applicants. But I don't see a compelling argument. Do you think all 18 year olds are attending the local State University because they are serious about their education? Obviously if you interview a few and see a trend, go for it. No doubt filters have to be used to narrow them down, fair or not..

Local Tech School known to hand out "Certificates" at University prices (be a programmer in 2 months for only 50k)
Gaps in employement
Incomplete applications
I see so many resumes from people that went to quality schools, I refuse to waste time on those that went to crappy ones. UoP is about as bad as you can get

bubbly

Post by bubbly » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm

sco wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:

Gaps in employement
Incomplete applications
Oh the irony in those two bolded items for filters. But then again, it's not spell check but rather proofread? :wink:

sco

Post by sco » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 pm

bubbly wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm
sco wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:

Gaps in employement
Incomplete applications
Oh the irony in those two bolded items for filters. But then again, it's not spell check but rather proofread? :wink:
touché