Request for Promotion letter to Senior Management

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
sschoe2

Re: Request for Promotion letter to Senior Management

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 am

Lost cause. If a company keeps passing you over for promotion it is time to look elsewhere and promote yourself. A letter is not going to induce a company to value you properly.

knswamy

Post by knswamy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:42 am

cantos wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:27 pm
I'm amused the OP has chimed in saying he's going to go ahead with letter despite all the wisdom not to. That says it all right there. Unwilling to learn is probably a good reason he's being held back year after year.
THIS!! THIS!! This comment wins the forum!

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:49 am

Nah, it's dangerous. What you feel is confidence can easily come across as arrogance.
They like you humble and grateful.
It's up to your boss to praise you.
Never praise yourself.
You'll be marked as having a big ego.

Long experience in IT in big telcom taught me this.

Bottom line: don't hit the send button if you know what's good for you.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Laren wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:11 am
If the purpose of the letter is to document your request, then I think a much more effective approach would be to have a meeting first, and then follow up the meeting with a letter or email documenting your discussion. This way you go in much stronger with a meeting first (the letter seems like a much weaker way to approach management), and then you will also have documentation of your request with the follow-up letter. Additionally, you can document what you were told in the meeting with the follow-up letter at the same time.
I love this idea. The issue with writing the letter first can be up to the receiver's interpretation. Imagine if your director just came out of a meeting where s/he was burned and then open up your email. Whereas, if you met first and have an open dialogue, you can document the meeting and outline steps along with timeline when you can get an answer if there is any potential of promotion.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:12 pm

When I wanted a promotion at megacorp, I enlisted my manager's. I asked what I would need to do to be promoted? What his requiremnts were and those of the company. i knew his budget would not support a bear term promotion. With his help I receoved the promotion the next year.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 am

Good luck with the letter.

In my office nothing happens in email, unless we see each other and talk first or call on the phone and discuss first and agree what can be achieved. Nowadays IM, instant messaging.

Just emails, will be archived.

This is for simple day to day tasks, reviews and approval.

OP, living in a different world, may be.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 am

I'm going to join the chorus that is saying that a letter is at best a waste of time and at worst, a written label that you are a high maintenance employee. (This is a label you don't ever want to get).

My understanding is that you are a technical contributor in a staff organization (the project management office) and are looking for a promotion to a higher pay grade with a better title. I retired 7 years ago after working for a Fortune 50 company that made a point of defining technical career paths that were parallel to the management career paths and had positions of high responsibility and pay. I started on the technical path and then switched over after 8 years to the management path. My observations are:
1) The technical career ladder existed but it was harder to climb and took longer to get promoted than going in to management. The reason for this was simple, most companies don't need duplicate technical experts in any one field. They do need multiple managers at the same level. For this reason, a technical expert generally had to wait for someone to retire before getting promoted into high levels.
2) Big companies are very reluctant to "promote in place" because they rightfully see this as a way for employees to inflate their salaries. Most upper level managers I worked with had a hard and fast requirement that employees had to change job roles and sometimes supervisors to be eligible for a promotion.
3) Big companies also have an established organization with all of the slots defined. Above a certain, very low, pay grade, they do not promote someone until an opening occurs. In that case, they review the possible candidates and try to pick the one that is the best fit for that job.
4) Big companies also typically have a guideline that no-one should be promoted unless the upper manager is convinced that the person can grow into the next promotion after that. If you can't convince your bosses boss that you are promotable beyond the advisor role, you won't be promoted into it.
5) The travel and promotion freeze makes it sound like your company is in the middle of a downturn. Trying to get a promotion and increase your cost to the company at a time when everybody is cutting budgets is a hard or maybe impossible sell. Making waves at that time is likely to get you labeled as someone who isn't a team player and doesn't understand the realities of the business world. This is not something I'd do in a company that may be putting together lists of people to lay off.

You need to sit down and figure out what you're willing to give up to get the title and money. You may have to change jobs, either within our outside the company, give up your cushy WFH situation, and accept more stress. If you're not willing to make changes, nothing is going to change.
Lorne

knswamy

Post by knswamy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:45 pm

I think it's instructive that OP hasn't responded with an ah-ha moment. I have, however, really benefited from all the perspectives, especially since I'm myself in a Fortune 100 company seeking further advancement! Thank you all and keep them coming!

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm

OP, any update?

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:16 am

AZAttorney11 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm
OP, any update?
Here is an interesting update:

1. As of first of next year, our current Director will be no longer part of the Portfolio of Projects I am involved with, who was uncomfortable with my promotion proposal (letter is unnecessary at this point)

2. Our current Portfolio has exploded into 3 times what it was as of last year - 3 times more budget

3. My current manager has been awarded the majority of the Portfolio, but 2 new managers have been added to the Portfolio and they have been subdivided up by the amount of work

4. We have a new Director and Manager who are familiar with my work in the past, but I have never reported to them and their interactions with me have always been pleasant

5. My Manager and I want to continue working with each other and we discussed as of Fri, a proposal,to turn over all of my current Programs that don't fall under him, by June 2018, which would be the first phase of the larger Program I am currently working on (200+ Million worth of savings, over 3 years for the Organization)

6. After the transition, I can continue working on Programs/Projects under my current manager, and receive reviews from him (as I have for the past 7 years)

7. All promotions are officially frozen, until further notice (this is hush-hush and no written communication has been distributed about it).

At this point, it is wait and see, my current Manager will provide my YE review in March 2018 - and hopefully that will continue to be a likely positive scenario, if the proposal is approved.

Best Regards for your continued interest and follow up on this!

I will provide more feedback as it becomes available.

Palatineman

beehappy

Post by beehappy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm

So promotions are frozen, but they managed to add two new managers in your department, and you weren't one of them? Are you not qualified to be a manager? What do you think a positive review gets you?

soupcxan

Post by soupcxan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 pm

OP is the only one who can’t see it.

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Palatineman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:52 pm
Background:

1. Been with Mega Corp for 8 years as an IT Program/Project Manager

2. Love my job and Manager I work with and have full flexibility on my schedule (WFH anytime I want). But visit the office whenever I feel like it (especially with one-on-one's with my Manager every week).

3. Been asking for a promotion for past 3 years, but the Director above my manager kept changing until recently. Current Director has been in the role for past 1 1/2 years.

4. My manager has been actively trying to promote me since then with every Director, but there has always been some excuse from every one of them, due to their high turnover rate.. "I haven't worked with him long enough to be able to promote him"

5. Latest excuse from current Director is the same back in March " I don't feel comfortable asking for his promotion"

6. Last week spoke with my Manager and he indicated the Director is telling him all promotions are frozen within the IT Organization I work for.

7. My manager and I came up with a plan to write a letter to Director formally asking for the promotion anyways, since his conversation with the Director has seemed to have fallen on deaf ears.

8 The draft letter is below and is being reviewed by my Manager to provide his feedback. After this I plan to send the letter to the Director and cc my Manager.

9. My relationship with the Director from the few times I interact with him has always been positive and I keep him fully informed about the progress and issues of all Programs/Projects.

10. I have received an exceeded expectations review for the past 2 years and the standard corporate raise (3 percent) with a healthy bonus.

Any feedback would be appreciated from all!

"Dear Director,
It will be 8 years in Dec, 2017 since I have joined Fortune 10 Mega Corp and the IT PMO Organization. Throughout the years I have had the opportunity to lead several highly-visible and large Programs/Projects to successful conclusions.

Below is a list of the notable Programs that I have led over the years:
2009-2012 – Major Compliance Program
2011-2014 –Platform Consolidation Program
2014-2015 – Capacity Improvement Program
2016 – Current – Network Program
Major Platform Upgrade

During my tenure here, I have been committed to working above and beyond the responsibilities of my position to ensure that all IT Programs/Projects are met within all PMO standards and guidelines, which has earned me an exceeded expectations rating for the past 2 years.

In addition to commitment, applying strategic planning to create a viable roadmap to meet the business needs, taking scope/schedule/cost into perspective is one of the main strengths I possess.

The most recent example of this is the roadmap for the Discovery efforts created for the Major Platform Upgrade Program to help drive the June 2018 date the Business is requesting to generate ROI for 2018.
With that being said, I want to take this opportunity to request a promotion to Senior Advisor, Project Management and its accompanying raise.

I believe I have proven myself to have already been operating in this role over the years and consider now an appropriate time to officially promote me to this position. I know that you will understand that if you allow me this opportunity, I can continue to provide even greater service to this company.

I ask you to seriously consider my request. I suggest that we sit down together and discuss the matter further. That way we could examine how granting this request would not only benefit me personally, but the company's success and financial growth as well.

Sincerely,
Palatineman
There's one consistent theme here - the same manager. They may very likely be the culprit.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Palatineman wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:16 am
Palatineman wrote:
3. My current manager has been awarded the majority of the Portfolio, but 2 new managers have been added to the Portfolio and they have been subdivided up by the amount of work
Palatineman wrote:
5. My Manager and I want to continue working with each other....
Palatineman wrote:
7. All promotions are officially frozen, until further notice (this is hush-hush and no written communication has been distributed about it).
Palatineman wrote:
Broke these down for you to the relevant parts... so what exactly about these details is worth more feedback?

Your current manager, whom has not promoted you, now runs the majority of the portfolio.

He added 2 new managers to the portfolio.. neither of which is you

All promotions are frozen (not sure why the hush hush part is so cool, that is bad news however you want to write it)

Your manager wants to keep working with you.. because you've sat under him for 7 years, did not get one of the 2 new manager slots, and will not get a promotion... of course he wants to keep you under his wing!!!

See the forest for the trees man... I hope you started sending out resumes a month ago when you wrote this dreamboat post
beehappy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm
So promotions are frozen, but they managed to add two new managers in your department, and you weren't one of them? Are you not qualified to be a manager? What do you think a positive review gets you?

Exactly... gets him where he's been the last 7 years...
soupcxan wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 pm
Clearly. End of story. Fold up the thread and GL to OP...
"I love competition. And I want to win." R. Murdoch

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 am

gunn_show wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 pm
Palatineman wrote:
Palatineman wrote:
Palatineman wrote:
5. My Manager and I want to continue working with each other....
Palatineman wrote:
Palatineman wrote:
Broke these down for you to the relevant parts... so what exactly about these details is worth more feedback?

Your current manager, whom has not promoted you, now runs the majority of the portfolio.

He added 2 new managers to the portfolio.. neither of which is you

All promotions are frozen (not sure why the hush hush part is so cool, that is bad news however you want to write it)

Your manager wants to keep working with you.. because you've sat under him for 7 years, did not get one of the 2 new manager slots, and will not get a promotion... of course he wants to keep you under his wing!!!

See the forest for the trees man... I hope you started sending out resumes a month ago when you wrote this dreamboat post
beehappy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Exactly... gets him where he's been the last 7 years...
soupcxan wrote:
Clearly. End of story. Fold up the thread and GL to OP...
I understand the type of reactions on this new development, but I think I need to expand on what my immediate goal is and a more detailed explanation on the situation involved.

1. I am not looking to get promoted as a Senior Manager - managing other Project Managers. I am looking to continue my role as a Program Manager, but with the upgraded title and salary of Senior Analyst - Project Management. There will be no direct reports to me- and that is the way I want to continue. I don't need the headache of dealing with direct reports to me and my day to day role would change significantly from what I am currently doing - the 10-20 percent raise is not worth it to me to take on this new role, even if it came falling from the sky and was offered to me.

I might think differently in years to come - but I know my current role is in-demand and will be for the immediate future.

2. My own manager is a Senior Manager to which I report to along with other Program/Project Managers. Once again, I am not seeking this role and have expressed that I want to continue as a Program Manager, but with him as continually being my manager.

3. My current Manager has a new Manager - the Portfolio Director, which he has never directly worked with before. He did not add the new Managers, the new Portfolio Director just brought them along as they were direct reports to her already. An adjustment for him as well, and he has no say on promoting me to Senior Manager. With this new change he will not run the entire Portfolio anymore, it will be subdivided into 3 different areas under the Portfolio, with 2 new managers running the other Programs/Projects underneath their respective controls. He also knows that I am not interested in the Senior Manager role and I am looking to just get the documented level that I have been operating in.

My current Manager has not been promoted in the last 7 years since I've been with him as well.

4. The other Managers are all Senior Managers have been around the company for a long time and have been working under the newly appointed Portfolio Director These were not promotions or new hires, but inadvertent lateral moves, so they would be working in the same position/capacity that they do today, only under a different Portfolio that has a lot more funding next year and a need for their help, as my current manager cannot handle the upcoming workload for the year (which tripled).

5. I really don't care if I get promoted or not at this point. In my experience with the 5 Fortune 500 companies, I have worked with so far, your relationship with your direct manager is the most important. I have had to deal with the worst-of-the-worst when it came to reporting to insecure, passive-aggressive, jealous behavior from some of my direct managers, in the past, that made my work-life balance a miserable hell, from my perspective. I understand that some of my behavior at the time could have caused this from being young, aggressive and not as politically savvy (as has been pointed out in these former posts).

We are all human and want the best for our families and survival and prosperity and use our education and experience and continual thirst for knowledge to move in an upward direction, with the best of our abilities and without compromising and harming another life or being unethical!

However, I am currently still in a relative very positive situation and will continue on that path, until it isn't anymore.

I, once again, thank you for your continual feedback and interest in this post, based on your personal experiences. We all get to learn from each other...

Best Regards,

Palatineman

IGWT

Post by IGWT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 am

Interesting! Your reason of why you need a promotion is not convincing enough. Its looks like your company does not want to promote you as they had budget to add two new managers. If they want to they would have, even to the role you fit, need etc.,

Basic question: As you already perform the duties of the promoted role, why would a manager feel the need to promote you? Also it looks like you have been asking for 3 out of 4 years, which means that they have stopped listening to you in this regard.

If you have the WFH, good benefits and time to care for ageing parent and a decent work life balance, you are saying that you are not ready to switch jobs. Better not rock the boat then.

IMO, your posts, reasoning etc sounds like you are ignorant that your bosses are ignoring you. I feel your self worth triumphs facts that you are overlooking the real situation.

After certain point, a real promotion is getting more time off, relaxed work environment, good work life balance, increased time to spend with family, week off during holidays, nominal raises etc... when you look back at life.. nobody feels that they should have been a senior adviser :oops:

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 am

soupcxan wrote:
Sigh. I agree. I think further discussion will not be productive.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 am

soupcxan wrote:
And at this level of density, I think the letter has the opposite reaction than what he is looking for. It would if I got it.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 am

IGWT wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 am
Interesting! Your reason of why you need a promotion is not convincing enough. Its looks like your company does not want to promote you as they had budget to add two new managers. If they want to they would have, even to the role you fit, need etc.,

Basic question: As you already perform the duties of the promoted role, why would a manager feel the need to promote you? Also it looks like you have been asking for 3 out of 4 years, which means that they have stopped listening to you in this regard.

If you have the WFH, good benefits and time to care for ageing parent and a decent work life balance, you are saying that you are not ready to switch jobs. Better not rock the boat then.

IMO, your posts, reasoning etc sounds like you are ignorant that your bosses are ignoring you. I feel your self worth triumphs facts that you are overlooking the real situation.

After certain point, a real promotion is getting more time off, relaxed work environment, good work life balance, increased time to spend with family, week off during holidays, nominal raises etc... when you look back at life.. nobody feels that they should have been a senior adviser :oops:
Thank You for your experienced insight on what is really important in the long run!

My bosses can ignore me as long as they need to. In their view, maybe I am a festering bad apple that has not exploded into potentially ruining the rest of the cart, but as long as I can deliver they will keep me on.

What I am hearing from other posters is STFU and put up with the existing situation or GTFO ASAP and give your current management the finger?

The company I work for has a 97% retention rate - there are several reasons behind this which includes WFH, matching 5 % 401K benefits and the low cost of health insurance ( I pay 24.36 per paycheck on an HDHP with 3 annual doctor visits - which costs me $450 a year)

Looks like "better to not rock the boat" is the best decision for now!

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm

OP, why do you think two new managers were brought into the group, but you weren't selected for a managerial position? Based on what you've posted, I fear you are an "anchor" within your team / organization and at-level.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

AZAttorney11 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm
OP, why do you think two new managers were brought into the group, but you weren't selected for a managerial position? Based on what you've posted, I fear you are an "anchor" within your team / organization and at-level.
AZAttorney11 - Thanks for your post and insight. If I have become an "anchor" within my team /organization after 8 years of consistently delivering.. then let the chips fall where they may - life is too short.

I was never vying for or positioning myself for the managerial positions they were already in - once again a lateral move for them, based on the organization's needs.

Any further estimating of why things are the way that they are is only more distress to all parties involved.

I have a plan till March 2018, which is when my review is due from my current manager and I get to hopefully collect any bonus - after that it may be the wild-wild west for me.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:28 am
The right way to do it is to schedule time with the person and instead of saying “I need to be promoted” instead sat “what do I need to demonstrate to get to the next level?”
This.

Always ask "What do I need to do to get promoted?" Get specifics. Be ready to look for another job if you meet their requests and still don't get promoted.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Palatineman wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 am
I am surprised about the - find a better offer and threaten to quit now responses, considering one of my main responsibilities is to ensure my mom has a comfortable remaining life and the fact that the flexibility in my current position affords me that capability.
I thought you were younger too... My new advice is to do nothing. Why do you want a promotion anyway? You've got a sweet gig.

I'm your age (48), and planning on retiring in 7 years at 55... I make plenty of money now, and I am done with promotions, and office politics. Freedom.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 am

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 pm
Palatineman wrote:
I am surprised about the - find a better offer and threaten to quit now responses, considering one of my main responsibilities is to ensure my mom has a comfortable remaining life and the fact that the flexibility in my current position affords me that capability.
I thought you were younger too... My new advice is to do nothing. Why do you want a promotion anyway? You've got a sweet gig.

I'm your age (48), and planning on retiring in 7 years at 55... I make plenty of money now, and I am done with promotions, and office politics. Freedom.
Thanks HomerJ!

I hope you are able to achieve your goal of retiring by 55. I don't have that luxury at the moment. You are correct I have a great gig and should look out for my mom, while I have the opportunity - this has what has kept me going.

She sacrificed a lot when I was younger and worked hard to ensure I was on the correct path with educational opportunities. At the same time I want to give back to her as much as I can, while I am able mind and bodied along with the will to continually progress in my career.

Compared to the rest of the world - nobody is close to starving in this household, so I am fine with whatever life deals, going forward.

Hope for a brighter future for you and everyone who has contributed to this thread. :sharebeer

Best Regards,

Palatineman

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:32 am

Palatineman wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 am
IGWT wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 am

Thank You for your experienced insight on what is really important in the long run!

My bosses can ignore me as long as they need to. In their view, maybe I am a festering bad apple that has not exploded into potentially ruining the rest of the cart, but as long as I can deliver they will keep me on.

What I am hearing from other posters is STFU and put up with the existing situation or GTFO ASAP and give your current management the finger?

The company I work for has a 97% retention rate - there are several reasons behind this which includes WFH, matching 5 % 401K benefits and the low cost of health insurance ( I pay 24.36 per paycheck on an HDHP with 3 annual doctor visits - which costs me $450 a year)

Looks like "better to not rock the boat" is the best decision for now!
I think you literally heard nothing. Not surprised

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:38 am

Palatineman wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 am
HomerJ wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 pm
Palatineman wrote:

Thanks HomerJ!

I hope you are able to achieve your goal of retiring by 55. I don't have that luxury at the moment. You are correct I have a great gig and should look out for my mom, while I have the opportunity - this has what has kept me going.

She sacrificed a lot when I was younger and worked hard to ensure I was on the correct path with educational opportunities. At the same time I want to give back to her as much as I can, while I am able mind and bodied along with the will to continually progress in my career.

Compared to the rest of the world - nobody is close to starving in this household, so I am fine with whatever life deals, going forward.

Hope for a brighter future for you and everyone who has contributed to this thread. :sharebeer

Best Regards,

Palatineman
OP, your long posts can be boiled down to 1 sentence: I want to be promoted so I can be paid more to do the exact same work I’m doing now. I suspect that will never happen.

Move along.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

That last reply by the OP demonstrates very clearly to us what his colleagues see on a day to day basis. SMH.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:26 am

Nyc10036 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am
That last reply by the OP demonstrates very clearly to us what his colleagues see on a day to day basis. SMH.
Completely oblivious. OP, answer this question as if you were the decision maker. Why would you give an employee who is not a flight risk and has no desire to take on new responsibilities a raise? Especially when they are paid commensurate for their title.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread. My wife is going through a similar situation at her company. They don’t have regular reviews and simply get a COL adjustment on January 1. She has asked for a raise based on her work output 5 months ago. They keep telling her it “looks promising” but she never gets and answer. I told her look for a new job and if you get a better offer ask them to match or leave. If you’re not willing to make a move you are completely at the mercy of charity.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:26 am
Nyc10036 wrote:
Completely oblivious. OP, answer this question as if you were the decision maker. Why would you give an employee who is not a flight risk and has no desire to take on new responsibilities a raise? Especially when they are paid commensurate for their title.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread. My wife is going through a similar situation at her company. They don’t have regular reviews and simply get a COL adjustment on January 1. She has asked for a raise based on her work output 5 months ago. They keep telling her it “looks promising” but she never gets and answer. I told her look for a new job and if you get a better offer ask them to match or leave. If you’re not willing to make a move you are completely at the mercy of charity.
So did you read and comprehend my last Post? Best position for me at this point in time is to stay where I am - even though I know the Org has me by the ba$$s! I will wait till my March 2018 review to reassess.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am

Palatineman wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Nyc10036 wrote:

So did you read and comprehend my last Post? Best position for me at this point in time is to stay where I am - even though I know the Org has me by the ba$$s! I will wait till my March 2018 review to reassess. if I make a move now, my potential bonus would be lost along with any Stock Options the Org would reward. Not worth the effort to find a new gig and reestablish at a new Org at this time. Plus I have 8 PTO days I need to take before the end of the year - or lose them.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am

That you would think 4 months from now that you will get a different outcome makes this a palm to forehead moment. :oops:

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am

Nyc10036 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am
That you would think 4 months from now that you will get a different outcome makes this a palm to forehead moment. :oops:
Nyc10036 - you seem to be in a cheerful mood this morning. Please offer your best suggestion? Palm to the head moments does not provide proper advice or direction.

Actually - you know what - I hope you enjoy the rest of your day - as I will not be responding to your posts any longer.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:46 am

Palatineman wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
Nyc10036 wrote:

So did you read and comprehend my last Post? Best position for me at this point in time is to stay where I am - even though I know the Org has me by the ba$$s! I will wait till my March 2018 review to reassess.
I have read it all to the best of my ability - you have al kinds of stuff that you want now at your current job. Flexible time, well paid, and very good benefits that will be hard to replace. You do not want to take on any managerial roles and you really do not want any increased responsibilities that will lead to removing some or the flexibility you now have. Your company has a 97% retention ret over some period of time although that may or may not reflect future events.
In the end is it business - so ask 2 questions and answer them as best you can to yourself whether or not you 'tell'' us on this post.
1. How hard will it be for you to replace your existing job and be reasonably happy within a year or two?
2. How hard will it be for your company to replace you and be 'happy' within a year or two?

IMHO - do not rock your existing boat even one little bit, the results have very little upside and a whole lotta downside.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 am

No more cheerful mood than you are!

You have been given much great advice which you have completely rejected and now seem to be pinning your hopes on March 2018. No wonder you are where you are.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 pm

I thought OP was really holding out for March 2018 so he can get his bonus that he earned in 2017. No sense leaving now and forfeiting the bonus.

A lot of people get hung up on Job titles and promotions... as someone else pointed out the - upside versus downside in this situation seems to say, stay the course.

In reality, if someone started after an existing employee and is at a lower job title level - I'd bet they have a salary that is either similar to, if not higher than, the existing employee.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 pm

smitcat wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:46 am
Palatineman wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
Nyc10036 wrote:

I have read it all to the best of my ability - you have al kinds of stuff that you want now at your current job. Flexible time, well paid, and very good benefits that will be hard to replace. You do not want to take on any managerial roles and you really do not want any increased responsibilities that will lead to removing some or the flexibility you now have. Your company has a 97% retention ret over some period of time although that may or may not reflect future events.
In the end is it business - so ask 2 questions and answer them as best you can to yourself whether or not you 'tell'' us on this post.
1. How hard will it be for you to replace your existing job and be reasonably happy within a year or two?
2. How hard will it be for your company to replace you and be 'happy' within a year or two?

IMHO - do not rock your existing boat even one little bit, the results have very little upside and a whole lotta downside.
smitcat - Thanks for your response!

I keep repeating this in my posts as everyone seems to be looking to the long term - and maybe at my age I may not appreciate it that much as we all get older and our level of contribution diminishes. I will try to address your questions to the best of my knowledge.

It will be hard in the immediate future (couple of years), as I am unsure how long my Mom will live (this alone is a fortunate thing that I have now). The responsibility of a new job at my level, along with the relationships I have built for the past years is an equity I have built within my current Org. In other words, they understand and support my personal relationships and the Org's culture is very Health driven- that is the business of the Org.

Bottom line - downside to changing Org's at this point is losing my current flexibility to support my ageing Mom and causing more stress in the household, with new job responsibilities - non-negotiable at this time.

I can answer this question completely as Org's (especially the one that I work for), seem to find talent that will jump on-board because of the competitive compensation and benefits they provide.

They will easily recover without me there, if I get hit by a bus or win the lottery today, I think is the answer you are looking for- nobody is irreplaceable - Apple still thrives and lives on without Steve Jobs - same for any company!

These are the realities I understand today!

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm

mortfree wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 pm
I thought OP was really holding out for March 2018 so he can get his bonus that he earned in 2017. No sense leaving now and forfeiting the bonus.

A lot of people get hung up on Job titles and promotions... as someone else pointed out the - upside versus downside in this situation seems to say, stay the course.

In reality, if someone started after an existing employee and is at a lower job title level - I'd bet they have a salary that is either similar to, if not higher than, the existing employee.
Thanks mortfree!

You get it! I would be giving up a whole bunch of time and effort wasted on searching for new opportunity along with the bonus and stock options I will get in March 2018. In the mean time, I will ride it out and see where the chips will fall in March 2018 and then I can have a clearer picture of how to move forward.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Duh! Of course wait to get your bonus etc!
No Boglehead is going to give that up.

And so what?

You get the bonus and then you are going to decide what to do then????

It seems pretty clear you do not need to be waiting until then to decide your next move. LOL.
Talk about hopeless case.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 pm

I really like your letter, but I can't gauge how successful it will be.

I think the best way to get promoted is to look for an opportunity in a role that is at the level you aspire to be at. You may be a manager now, start looking for Senior Manager roles in and out of your company. Talk to you manager, ask his/her help in identifying opportunities, make it be known you are ready for a new challenge.

Best case is you find a great new role or they promote you in place (likely with more responsibility), worst case is they do nothing you stay in current role until you determine you have to move out of the company.

Promotion in place, in my opinion, is not as common as it used to be. Promotions require movement and additional responsibility.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 pm

I think the best way to get promoted is to look for an opportunity in a role that is at the level you aspire to be at. You may be a manager now, start looking for Senior Manager roles in and out of your company. Talk to you manager, ask his/her help in identifying opportunities, make it be known you are ready for a new challenge.

Best case is you find a great new role or they promote you in place (likely with more responsibility), worst case is they do nothing you stay in current role until you determine you have to move out of the company.

Promotion in place, in my opinion, is not as common as it used to be. Promotions require movement and additional responsibility.
You've obviously not read through all the responses! The TLDR status quo is that there is going to be no current change to OP's status quo, and no letters are being sent.

That said, I don't know why folks are so upset with OP, after all, even though he disagrees with most respondents, he is not sending the letter which is what everyone got after him about in the first place!

I'm similar to OP. The main differences are that:

a) I'm at a much lower (jobwise) position than him and I'm at peace with it, though I do get frustrated every now and then when I hear of 10%+ annual raises,
b) I believe I understand manager-speak better even though, ironically, I am not one (and have never been one) and I believe he is one, and
c) I'm not too keen to change jobs in the current timeframe (though on this one, it appears that OP is like me!).

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm

an_asker wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 pm
bungalow10 wrote:

You've obviously not read through all the responses! The TLDR status quo is that there is going to be no current change to OP's status quo, and no letters are being sent.

That said, I don't know why folks are so upset with OP, after all, even though he disagrees with most respondents, he is not sending the letter which is what everyone got after him about in the first place!

a) I'm at a much lower (jobwise) position than him and I'm at peace with it, though I do get frustrated every now and then when I hear of 10%+ annual raises,
b) I believe I understand manager-speak better even though, ironically, I am not one (and have never been one) and I believe he is one, and
c) I'm not too keen to change jobs in the current timeframe (though on this one, it appears that OP is like me!).
Hi an_asker

Thanks for your thoughtful and passionate response! I didn't expect this from my initial post but what is being reflected here seems almost too natural and hopefully a lesson learned moving forward in life.

The posters who are responding in a negative fashion here have their own insecurities to deal with and they use this forum to denigrate anything positive. So they will scroll through - find the most current post and respond based on their own life experiences - to give them a moment where they appear to be superior to you.

Do I care about what they think? - NO - they are not employing me or paying my bills and from their negative responses - they never will. I hope to never encounter them physically in real-life,

The responses tells a lot of what they are really built for - they have experienced some success as Managers and think what they are currently doing - by short-cutting a process (in this case -careful reading of all posts) will last in the long run and to not take the entire picture into account.

Would you want to work for someone on these negative threads, who can't carefully vet out current information, before carefully responding?

My last sentence here may fuel another fire of responses - so be it!

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Palatineman wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm
an_asker wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:

Hi an_asker

Thanks for your thoughtful and passionate response! I didn't expect this from my initial post but what is being reflected here seems almost too natural and hopefully a lesson learned moving forward in life.

The posters who are responding in a negative fashion here have their own insecurities to deal with and they use this forum to denigrate anything positive. So they will scroll through - find the most current post and respond based on their own life experiences - to give them a moment where they appear to be superior to you.

Do I care about what they think? - NO - they are not employing me or paying my bills and from their negative responses - they never will. I hope to never encounter them physically in real-life,

The responses tells a lot of what they are really built for - they have experienced some success as Managers and think what they are currently doing - by short-cutting a process (in this case -careful reading of all posts) will last in the long run and to not take the entire picture into account.

Would you want to work for someone on these negative threads, who can't carefully vet out current information, before carefully responding?

You had asked for advice on a posting board that has many professionals and you received some very good professional advice.
This statement....
"The posters who are responding in a negative fashion here have their own insecurities to deal with and they use this forum to denigrate anything positive. So they will scroll through - find the most current post and respond based on their own life experiences - to give them a moment where they appear to be superior to you."
You have gotten some great feedback that you have resisted -- the called it negative. If you wanted to hear only answers that are considered positive then perhaps you went to the wrong group. I for one have had many folks working for me at times and would agree with almost all of the responses here so far.

And this statement....
""Do I care about what they think? - NO - they are not employing me or paying my bills and from their negative responses - they never will. I hope to never encounter them physically in real-life,""
I have learned a great deal from professional folks that do not have a stake in my life or a stake in their answers. It does not get clouded by emotion or by personal feelings - there are a number of key indicators in many of your posts that call up a red flag. The only method we have of knowing about you and your situation are your actual posts, the information is coming from yourself. The posters on this board are picking up on those red flags and letting you know about it.
Perhaps you find their reactions to your posts as negative - I would consider them an early warning system to potential real problems.
Way back in one or your posts you speak about "turning some projects over..." to someone else at this point in time - I see another red flag there as well.
So take the responses of many professionals that have "been there done that" or do not - its really up to you.
Trust me - it will not hurt them at all if you ignore them ....but you are not currently financially positioned to lose your job so please read and consider carefully before your next move.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Separately but related - based upon the frequency and timing of these posts I would hope and suggest that you are not actively posting while at work. If you are at work or on a work network system or machine I would also be highly concerned.
Please do not post with or through a work network system with any commentary such as is on this post.

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:05 pm

smitcat wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 pm
Palatineman wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm
an_asker wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:

Hi an_asker

You had asked for advice on a posting board that has many professionals and you received some very good professional advice.
This statement....
"The posters who are responding in a negative fashion here have their own insecurities to deal with and they use this forum to denigrate anything positive. So they will scroll through - find the most current post and respond based on their own life experiences - to give them a moment where they appear to be superior to you."
You have gotten some great feedback that you have resisted -- the called it negative. If you wanted to hear only answers that are considered positive then perhaps you went to the wrong group. I for one have had many folks working for me at times and would agree with almost all of the responses here so far.

And this statement....
""Do I care about what they think? - NO - they are not employing me or paying my bills and from their negative responses - they never will. I hope to never encounter them physically in real-life,""
I have learned a great deal from professional folks that do not have a stake in my life or a stake in their answers. It does not get clouded by emotion or by personal feelings - there are a number of key indicators in many of your posts that call up a red flag. The only method we have of knowing about you and your situation are your actual posts, the information is coming from yourself. The posters on this board are picking up on those red flags and letting you know about it.
Perhaps you find their reactions to your posts as negative - I would consider them an early warning system to potential real problems.
Way back in one or your posts you speak about "turning some projects over..." to someone else at this point in time - I see another red flag there as well.
So take the responses of many professionals that have "been there done that" or do not - its really up to you.
Trust me - it will not hurt them at all if you ignore them ....but you are not currently financially positioned to lose your job so please read and consider carefully before your next move.
"but you are not currently financially positioned to lose your job so please read and consider carefully before your next move."

OK - unsure how you got this out of all the posts - I have 18 months worth of cash to live off of and if I extended an CC use it would be 4 years before I will be on the street.

Maybe I didn't mention it before. I don't see myself twiddling my thumbs for 18 months or longer. I know degrees don't matter much any more but an MPM (Master in Project Management) a BsC (Bachelor of Computer Science) along with a PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification, should land me somewhere in that amount of time.

Single - no kids only 86 yo mom to worry about (not an easy task).

I am not ignoring the professional advice being offered, only it may not be correct for my current situation.

If you can't figure out the positive versus negative responses on this thread - is not my problem.. never will be

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:47 pm

The more you post the more clearly your lack of EQ comes very clear.
In corporate America EQ is more important than IQ.

4 years does not equate to 17 if you were to retire at 65.

bjc3

Post by bjc3 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm

OP asked a question and it has been answered. It’s OP’s decision what to do based on the responses that s/he’s received. I’m not sure going back and forth is fruitful, regardless of what side of the issue you’re on. At this point, it would probably be best to close the thread.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm

someone illuminate LadyGeek's batman signal. Lock it up
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 pm

buccimane wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm
IBTL

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:24 pm

buccimane wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm
You are funny - correct -lock it up - even the OP agrees.... LadyGeek - where are you? :beer

Palatineman

Post by Palatineman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm

smitcat wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 pm
Separately but related - based upon the frequency and timing of these posts I would hope and suggest that you are not actively posting while at work. If you are at work or on a work network system or machine I would also be highly concerned.
Please do not post with or through a work network system with any commentary such as is on this post.
No - I am not - I really appreciate your perspective on this. I can switch from my personal computer to my work one and have them connected separately - when I WFH. I make it a point not to connect to this forum or anything else that is public when I work at the office.

This could be a potential Career Ending Move for anyone!

For everyone on this forum - do not overlook this vulnerability along with any personal device (including smartphones).

Once again - Thanks for the reminder and advice!