To Avatar or not to Avatar . . how did you choose or not choose?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general SatuMedia community discussion, news, events, and announcements
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: To Avatar or not to Avatar . . how did you choose or not choose?

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Google is your friend: avatar resize - Google Search

My avatar is a modified version of a camera DSLR eyepiece. There are no diagonal lines, which means it will easily scale and look the same at any resolution.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 pm

I arrived here on the Forum just after my sister stole some of my inheritance, and I was reading Wiesenthal's The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness.

"Every picture tells a story, don't it!"
Last edited by Flobes on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:12 pm

This post inspired me to finally figure out how to create an avatar and post it here. I've always wanted a photo of Inji the orangutan as my avatar. She's the grand old lady of the Oregon Zoo. Photos of her are all over the web.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 pm

My avatar is a modified version of a camera DSLR eyepiece. There are no diagonal lines, which means it will easily scale and look the same at any resolution.
I must have tried a slightly different search because I was having trouble finding a site that would resize both in shape and in memory usage. For people annoyed at having to get both to match, this site works (the first link in the above google search):

http://picasion.com/resize-image/

I still think this site could automate that process behind the scenes, as this site skews older (and/or busier), and it would help those who don't want to deal with such trivialities, and in general make people's accounts more easily personalizable.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Sailing into the sunset

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 pm

SatuMedia:

Lady Geek selected my avatar (a sailboat sailing into the sunset) many years ago.

It was a good selection. :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 pm

I've been fairly good at golf all my life except for SandTraps. It's always been the worse part of my game. But I still love golf.
I saw this hunched over geezer online and it fit well. Bad back and all. Like myself, Clumsily hacking through life and enjoying it where I can find it. :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:47 pm
I find it helpful to later quickly spot my own posts in threads. I change mine frequently if something catches my eye. I do wish the forum would allow slightly larger avatars. Really, only 8 kB?
Clearly you know a handsome avatar when you see one.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:35 pm

tcassette wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 pm
Nicolas wrote:
I find it helpful to later quickly spot my own posts in threads. I change mine frequently if something catches my eye. I do wish the forum would allow slightly larger avatars. Really, only 8 kB?
Clearly you know a handsome avatar when you see one.
Thank you! I've long admired yours. That's what inspired me. :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Nicolas wrote:
514.696 MB = 8 kb * 64,337 members to date

That's why.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

David Jay

Re: Sailing into the sunset

Post by David Jay » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 pm
SatuMedia:

Lady Geek selected my avatar (a sailboat sailing into the sunset) many years ago.

It was a good selection. :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
I make it to be a yawl.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:10 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:43 pm
Nicolas wrote:

That's why.
I figured as much. I can live with it. Thanks for the explanation.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:15 pm

When I was eight I read a comic about uncle Scrooge. In his office he had a plaque saying "a penny saved is a penny earned".

He was the first boglehead!

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:18 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:15 pm
... "a penny saved is a penny earned"...
I wish... I have to EARN almost 1.5 pennies to get that 1 after tax penny saved :annoyed
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

just frank

Post by just frank » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:25 am

A lot of the subject matter here is necessarily pretty grim...things that most people are afraid to look at or think about.

Frank reminds me to confront those fears, act as needed, and to remember to laugh while I am doing it.

Happy Halloween!

Ethelred

Post by Ethelred » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

That's why.
I'm confused, is the problem storage space or bandwidth? Hard drive storage currently costs about 8c/GB, so storage for 500 MB would cost 4c.

jimmyq

Post by jimmyq » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:50 am

Mine was based on feeling at the time like a helpless turtle who wants to turn over but can't quite get there without help. I don't really feel like that anymore, but I still like the avatar.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am

unclescrooge wrote:
When I was eight I read a comic about uncle Scrooge. In his office he had a plaque saying "a penny saved is a penny earned".

I think I read that one, too. Scrooge McDuck. Isn't it the comic with the advertisement on the back for a bodybuilding booklet with a drawing of a 90 lb weakling getting sand kicked in his face? :(

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:25 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am
unclescrooge wrote:

I think I read that one, too. Isn't it the comic with the advertisement on the back for a bodybuilding booklet with a drawing of a 90 lb weakling getting sand kicked in his face? :(
Yes, I think all the comics of the era had the Charles atlas bodybuilding ad on them.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 am

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:18 am
unclescrooge wrote:
... "a penny saved is a penny earned"...
I wish... I have to EARN almost 1.5 pennies to get that 1 after tax penny saved :annoyed
True, but when I was eight, all "earned" income came from savings pennies I got from my parents!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am

I ran across some H.L.Mencken writing that I liked then picked up Mencken's own selecton of his works (A Mencken Chrestomathy). It was a fun read so I decided to change my earlier avatar to the current Mencken photo. I have been tempted to change it as I come across other possibilities but my Boglehead training ("Stay the course.") is holding me back.

Besides, I think it is a matter of common courtesy to maintain avatar consistency -- at least for a while.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:43 pm

I think it makes it easier to identify frequent posters and enables me to find where I last commented.

My avatar represents a Gentleman from Virginia who likes to drink local wine vintages.

Sidebar: Is it possible to place the date a user joined on the left side by their user name? The reason I ask, is that its a pain to look across to the right to see how long someone has been a member to give credence to what "seasoned wisdom" they are giving.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:00 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethelred

Post by Ethelred » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:06 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 pm
Thank you. I have solved the problem.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm

CIB is iconic and I was awarded one years ago. Why not?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 pm

Ethelred wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

That's why.
I'm confused, is the problem storage space or bandwidth? Hard drive storage currently costs about 8c/GB, so storage for 500 MB would cost 4c.
I would think it's storage, but avatar size is a site owner decision.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm a visual artist so I naturally like avatars. I found mine doing an image search and felt it fit :D

TD2626

Post by TD2626 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:18 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 pm
Ethelred wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

That's why.
I would think it's storage, but avatar size is a site owner decision.
It was quite hard to get mine down to 8kB - it took a lot of work (several hours) and was a confusing process.

I wish it could be bigger (flash drives in the multi-gigabyte range are pretty cheap) but it's understandable if there are technical or other limitations that preclude that. I don't understand the specifics of the technology, and I assume it isn't remotely as easy as buying a bunch of flash drives :happy .

I see there is already a place in the Wiki that gives tips on avatar creation (/wiki/Posting ... _and_Paint). Maybe this could be updated, as that part of the wiki specifically notes that it is "for Windows XP"? Suggestions of services that can compress images might be helpful. Older individuals or those who are less tech savy may be unable to make an avatar easily without assistance.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks, the wiki has been revised: Creating an avatar

I don't think anyone is using MS Paint these days to create an avatar and dropped it in favor of avatar resizing. The restriction for "no animiation" is due to the forum guidelines - not a software limitation.

I added a suggestion that you should try to find an image that's already 100px X 100px, as the resizing process is done by dropping pixels and usually results in a blurred image.

siamond

Post by siamond » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 pm

I made a presentation about Roth conversions to our local chapter a while ago. To make it less dry, I used the example of an hypothetical couple at various stages of work/retirement, and included pictures I found on Google Images to illustrate the storyline, with a bit of a running joke about the boat they'd use when retired (yacht or something more modest). Then I illustrated the last slide, a couple in their 70s after doing Roth conversions during early retirement as having a serene attitude, no boat, fishing from shore with a nice dog, and making the best of their time. I liked this picture so much that I made it my avatar.

Oh, and I am early retired, fishing is one of my primary hobbies, I started regular Roth conversions, and... I usually fish from shore, no boat. Only problem, I'd love to have a dog, but my wife isn't too hot about it... Hey, one can dream, maybe she'll change her mind by the time we're 70. :wink:

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Went to school at Michigan State (fun fact: during those years joined the investment club and we took a trip to meet Warren Buffett in Omaha), so consider myself a Spartan. I also enjoy watching the football/basketball games each year.

Go Green! :beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 pm

siamond wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 pm
Only problem, I'd love to have a dog, but my wife isn't too hot about it... Hey, one can dream, maybe she'll change her mind by the time we're 70. :wink:
Nobody loves you like your dog does. People with dogs live longer.

On the other hand, men with wives live longer than unattached males.

So what gives? It is what makes you happiest.

Let us know how it works out.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:05 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am
I ran across some H.L.Mencken writing that I liked then picked up Mencken's own selecton of his works (A Mencken Chrestomathy). It was a fun read so I decided to change my earlier avatar to the current Mencken photo. I have been tempted to change it as I come across other possibilities but my Boglehead training ("Stay the course.") is holding me back.

Besides, I think it is a matter of common courtesy to maintain avatar consistency -- at least for a while.
That distinctive Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, gangster fedora look is unforgettable, . . . "see".
And, I hope you're gonna keep it up there for awhile longer,. . . "see".

siamond

Post by siamond » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 pm

Wildebeest wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 pm
Nobody loves you like your dog does. People with dogs live longer.

On the other hand, men with wives live longer than unattached males.

So what gives? It is what makes you happiest.
Are you saying what I think you're saying? If you read some of my posts, you know that I like to be data-driven. Please provide more backtesting data on the 3 implied scenarios... Just out of scientific curiosity? ;-)

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 am

VA_Gent wrote: Sidebar: Is it possible to place the date a user joined on the left side by their user name?
On my screen, the avatar and user name are on the right side and the date joined is underneath the user name and posts (number of posts).

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I chose mine because I like Money- when I have it it makes me smile :)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 am
VA_Gent wrote: Sidebar: Is it possible to place the date a user joined on the left side by their user name?
On my screen, the avatar and user name are on the right side and the date joined is underneath the user name and posts (number of posts).
Sorry, but the avatar and user name will stay where they are (right side). This is the "stock" configuration of the forum software, which will be the only configuration we support. (We don't have the resources to customize the layout much beyond this.)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:30 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm
I think the only other blazing yellow moniker is "Lemongrab" :D

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:55 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:30 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm
I think the only other blazing yellow moniker is "Lemongrab" :D
Yes - I was going to add "And the bright yellow color makes it easy for me to find my own posts within a thread (sometimes I forget whether or not I responded)" but I didn't want to give the idea to others. :wink:

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Mine reminds me that I have chosen anonymity in this forum and I shouldn't screw that up.

Also, I like Magritte. And periodically think to myself "who is that masked manzana?" and chuckle a little at my weird little joke.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:13 pm

I played around with a couple of cute pics of my cats, but wasn't able to get them to fit. So I did a bit of web-surfing and came up with this one awhile back. He looks a lot like one of my cats, but he's not. I like that he's using a computer mouse for a pillow. Cat... mouse... get it?
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

gtownsend

Post by gtownsend » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Mine is a GPS doodle that I created entirely by accident.
I discovered it after returning from an automobile trip.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 pm

I've always admired Dürer's works, particularly this one.

Plus I couldn't fit Bosch's The Last Judgment in the alloted space :P
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 am
My username often get shortened to PI (or some variation), hence the avatar.
The password for my Vanguard account is the last 8 digits of PI.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 pm

If I was going to have an avatar, it would make the most sense if it were a Goldfinch. If I find a nice picture someday and figure out how to upload it I will try to do it. :happy

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:36 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 pm
If I was going to have an avatar, it would make the most sense if it were a Goldfinch. If I find a nice picture someday and figure out how to upload it I will try to do it. :happy
Download this: Image
It is 100x100 and under 8K bytes.

To set it as your avatar. click on your id at the upper right, select profile, then select the profile tab, select edit avatar and follow your nose.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:47 pm

^^^ GoldenFinch - If you need assistance, let me know and I'll upload the image for you (make it your avatar).

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 pm

F150HD wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:27 pm
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 am
My username often get shortened to PI (or some variation), hence the avatar.
Very interesting....
What else can you do?

Can you help us with other math "problems"? :D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 pm

F150HD wrote:
Cute...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:01 pm

F150HD wrote:

Stop being irrational.

Also, e > pi.
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said." --Alan Greenspan

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Are you going to use "Bertilak's" finch? It's a pretty bird. Yellow stands out. Lemon Yellow even more. :D